Wind direction on runway

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IW11

IW11
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

I've been simming for many years but I've never really been able to get a handle on the wind direction before I land. I'm mainly refering to smaller airfields without ATIS. On many fields the socks do work but I can rarely see them from circuit height and using Shift+Z will provide wind data where the aircraft is but that usually changes by the time I'm down to the runway. I know there are some fields with no socks & no atis, just like real life, so I'm happy to take my luck on those but whenever possible I like to know where the runway wind is and still keep with the reality theme. Zooming over the sock(s) at a few feet isn't very realisticPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image . How do you guys do it?

Ian

#2 aussiecop

aussiecop
  • Nemeth Design Staff
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

In RW flying I listen to the wind direction from the AWOS on the radio frequency.
Posted ImagePosted Image

-The beatings will continue until morale improves

#3 TerribleT

TerribleT
  • OZx Scenery Tester
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Down to circuit height for airstrip 10nm out if poss, then shift+z to see the wind direction and strength, pick runway and then start advisory calls Posted Image Works most of the time, but not always - if not take a crosswind or tailwind approach if within specs for aircraft - makes a nice change Posted Image - otherwise just change selected runway and recommence advisories Posted Image

Here's to ya, Terry - FSX Acceleration, REX HD OD, W7 HP 64bit SP1, Intel i5 760 OC 3.6 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1660Mhz, Gigabyte P55A-UDP4P, BenQ G2420HD, Nvidia 2GB GeForce GTX760, Samsung 233GB SSD, WD 279GB SCSI, 2x1TB Samsungs SATA
ZREHD.gif

#4 IW11

IW11
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I thought someone might have had a good way to tell what the wind is doing down on the runway when there's no radio to tell them. In my opinion Shift+Z is a bit like pockets in socks when trying to work out what the wind is doing 1000' or more below the aircraft. Shift+Z only tells us what the wind is doing where the aircraft is. In FSX the wind layers can vary from circuit height to runway. That said it seems like our main option.

Just prior to entering the circuit I'm going to try opening a new (smaller) window & select a runway close to a sock & then use the zoom to see it (sock). This might be a bit of a fuddle but it might be worth it.

Ian

#5 Flyboy

Flyboy
  • Registered
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Flight Sim ... what else is there?

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm not a RW pilot, but I seem to remember reading that some pilots like to time their pass as they do a circuit, especially where there are no windsocks available. That way they can quickly dertermine wind direction and realative speed. The slowest pass is into the wind, given the same IAS.

Pete.

Edited by Flyboy, 08 November 2011 - 08:22 AM.

Cheers ... Pete

supporter_banner1.png customer_me.jpg

CPU Q6600 @ 3Ghz MB GA-EP45-DS3R MEM 4Gig Corsair DDR2 800 GFX GTX550Ti o/c HDD 320Gb(x2) in RAID 0 (Fakeraid) OS Win7 64

#6 briansommers

briansommers
  • OZx Scenery Tester
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

If you don't have Active Sky Evolution (ASE) you should really consider getting it, it is a great addon and the coolest thing it has built in it, is to be able to tune to 122.00 a default FSS sort of thing and get voice atis from where ever you are at. It will report the station at which it is picking up the weather, i usually use that for remote strips and that has been good enough. I also consult airnav and see what the wx advisories are for that current airport.. they don't all work in FSX but some do.. if not, then back to 122.0

#7 IW11

IW11
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

FWIW I have ASE which was working fairly well at fields with a real weather station but was having problems at the smaller fields with no wx stn, especially with false Shift+Z data. Today I updated ASE to SP3 and updated FSUIPC then set the Weatherreads to zero in FSUIPC (this changes back to default for some reason, maybe zero is not allowed, so I set it to 1). I have also set ASE with Force Destination WX to OFF. If I make a flight plan in ASE I can tune 122.00 & get accurate atis. If I don't feel like filing a plan I go to ASE Map Page and make sure Lock TO FSX is ticked & again 122.00 gives me the atis. Note that before updating FSUIPC ASE was giving me correct atis for the weather occuring in FSX BUT Shift+Z was not providing the correct data, now it is.
So all in all it looks like ASE can be set up to give true atis over the com radio. Hopefully the problem is partly solved at least with ASE running.

My next task is to figure how we in FSX world can get atis using a frequency which is unavailable on a com radio. For example real world and FSX ATIS YPDN (Darwin) is 112.30 BUT we can't enter 112.30 in a com radio and a NAV radio will not give us any voice in FSX. If you have any suggestions I'm listening.

Ian

#8 briansommers

briansommers
  • OZx Scenery Tester
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

that last part.. you got me there...

#9 TerribleT

TerribleT
  • OZx Scenery Tester
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Well I guess if you want to be real about this you have to use the VFR technique of plotting a track, in whatever way you wish to sim that, then using a timing device and visual reference points en route to show your drift, then using a calculator to assess the rate of drift, which will give you both direction and speed of wind, provided you know your IAS, TAS, CAS and GS and factors associated therewith. Then you descend to circuit height about 10nm out and recalculate the lot. Then you fly over the top and view windsocks or smoke or waving trees or scrub or washing on the line or whatever to confirm your calcs and finalize your approach. Then when you get about 200AGL on short final, you find ground temps or some nearby terrain effect changes the wind on you anyway Posted Image It all makes life interesting and I used to find keeping your eyes open, and feeling the aeroplane through stick and rudder, and being able to land with crosswinds or tailwinds was probably the most important bit Posted Image Being obsessed by technique can be distracting Posted Image

Here's to ya, Terry - FSX Acceleration, REX HD OD, W7 HP 64bit SP1, Intel i5 760 OC 3.6 GHz, 16GB DDR3 1660Mhz, Gigabyte P55A-UDP4P, BenQ G2420HD, Nvidia 2GB GeForce GTX760, Samsung 233GB SSD, WD 279GB SCSI, 2x1TB Samsungs SATA
ZREHD.gif

#10 IW11

IW11
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm glad to hear that you had it all working so well Terrible. Thanks for your input.

With reference to my original post I am only concerned with the methods used in FSX to establish runway wind direction & strength.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users