Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

DavidR.

[RELEASED]: Durham (Left Path)

Question

This map addon has now been released:-

=======================================

DURHAM (Driving on the Left)

Addon Map

This is an addon map from the City of Durham, in the North East of England. This map accurately drives of the left side of the road, as all traffic does in the UK.

Because this map operates on the left path, it is only compatible with RHD (Right Hand Drive) addon buses for OMSI, such as the Denis Enviro 500, by Winsome.

(Grab the Enviro 500 RHD bus here:- http://www.winsomes3dstudio.com/omsi/index_omsi.html )

You must bear in mind that OMSI was built as a simulator, with driving on the RIGHT PATH only, in mind. Therefore it is only through imagination, innovation and a good deal of 'fudging' that this map works at all. Not everything is perfect. But it works pretty well.

The Enviro 500 (being a twin rear axle bus) is a little too large for this route, but it is a great bus, and currently (at the time of writing) the only RHD bus currently available, so it is your only choice for driving 'left path' maps such as this.

This map initially features two urban routes in Durham, which operate from the ARNISON CENTRE, a mid-sized shopping complex to the North of the City, to two suburban areas to the East of the city, via a section of the city centre:

63 Arnison Centre <> DURHAM CITY <> Gilesgate (Musgrave Gardens)

64 Arnison Centre <> DURHAM CITY <> Sherburn Village

These are REAL-WORLD Arriva North East (Durham) routes. And you can check them out here:-

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=14398

Tips:-

1). The Enviro 500 has no IBIS and also cannot view timetables, so although this map comes with fully-featured timetables, it is not possible to view your progress against them , from within the cab. You can still set up to run a 'tour' as normal though. Flippy1008 has produced the timetables and has also provided the PDFs that come in the Zip that you should print and use to follow your loaded timetable.

2). As you cannot use the IBIS to set your destinations in the Enviro 500, you will need to set destination manually, using the OMSI Menu item.

3). Although both Single and Double Deck buses are operated on this route in real life, no buses as large as the Enviro 500 are operated and as such, you will find some corners difficult to manage in that bus. Just take your time, wait until there is no oncoming traffic, and use the opposite lane to transit the junction safely.

4). When driving around either of the roundabouts in this map, use both lanes.

Thanks go to the following people, who contributed to this project:-

Eku.L - for the matrix displays

Emil - for Simple Streets Left

Winsome - for the Dennis Enviro 500

G.Hunter - for the 'Nexus' bus stop

Flippy1008 - for the timetables

Fleetline7221 - for the ARRIVA repaint.

....you are recommended to grab the ARRIVA repaint for the Enviro 500, and use it with this map.

Here it is:-

I hope you enjoy driving these fairly short routes, on the LEFT, as we do in the UK. :)

DOWNLOAD LINK:-

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2033-durham-driving-on-the-left/

hjghvh10.jpg

Thanks,

David.

66 answers to this question

Excellent! Can't wait to get home to try it! Lol I wonder if I could get away with putting OMSI on my office PC on the basis of being a training aide? I wish!

Can't see why not ... it's related to your trade! :)

TIP:

This map should be pretty light on CPU resources, so..... set your OMSI settings pretty high, (ensure the Rain Effects and nice water reflections etc are ON), then drive the map at night with OMSI's "Rainy" weather preset.

Yum! (and we have this weather all the time in Durham, so it's realistic!!)

:)

Typical! Rush home, put on PC and bloody Virgin Media Broadband is non-existant! Been very hit and miss lately, engineer booked to come out today but as soon as I hung up on customer services, the broadband held solid all day so I cancelled engineer. As soon as I got a call confirming cancellation the bloody thing went off again! I'm sure VM are taking the mick! Guess I'd better re-book the engineer!

Typical! Rush home, put on PC and bloody Virgin Media Broadband is non-existant! Been very hit and miss lately, engineer booked to come out today but as soon as I hung up on customer services, the broadband held solid all day so I cancelled engineer. As soon as I got a call confirming cancellation the bloody thing went off again! I'm sure VM are taking the mick! Guess I'd better re-book the engineer!

Och, nightmare Alan! ... broadband unreliability really is miserable, I had it to but ok now fingers crossed on BT Infinity. Hope you get it sorted!

Well, managed to get a connection to hold long enough to download Durham! Superb stuff! The only problem was trying to get passengers to 'see' the bus! I've been enjoying driving around empty (old bus drivers saying that the job would be great if not for the passengers!!) but it would be nice to actually pick them up! They just stand at the stop looking at me! What am I doing wrong? I select the relevant trip and load the destination. What else am I missing (seeing as there's no IBIS)?

Well, managed to get a connection to hold long enough to download Durham! Superb stuff! The only problem was trying to get passengers to 'see' the bus! I've been enjoying driving around empty (old bus drivers saying that the job would be great if not for the passengers!!) but it would be nice to actually pick them up! They just stand at the stop looking at me! What am I doing wrong? I select the relevant trip and load the destination. What else am I missing (seeing as there's no IBIS)?

Did you set up the rollblind? People won't board the bus if you don't. Without the IBIS you have to do it manually either by the menu or with the hotkeys.

I selected the 'destination' item from the menu on the top of the screen and chose whatever route it was (63 to Arnison Centre). The destination was showing on the front of the bus!

And you've selected the right depot when spawning the bus? Hmm, strange. Even if you weren't on a timetable with the right destination sign up passengers should still board regardless. Hopefully David will have a bit more incite on this, I'm not sure whats wrong here.

Ah, I think I went wrong by typing in a number as well as selecting a destination. Just had another run (successfully this time) by only selecting the destination, and the number is displayed automatically. Thanks for the help!

Hi Alan,

You don't need to select the route number on this particular map, just the destination from the menu. However, putting a route number in, shouldn't in itself stop the passengers getting on, so not sure what happened there.

Perhaps they were 'mackem' passengers on that particular run, and could clearly recognise a 'Geordie' bus driver, and thus refused to get on your bus bonny lad!

In all seriousness, it may just have been that OMSI didn't load the map properly that first time. That's all I can think of.

Cheers.

great map !!

anyhow i can see what time is, instead of going to menu ?

Try pressing "SHIFT+Y" a couple of times. (I think that's the key that displays info, frame rates, and time).

As the Enviro 500 has no IBIS and cannot view the "in-cab" timetables, I'd recommend printing the PDF timetables that Flippy made, (they come in the zip file that is downloaded), and keeping to time the manual way).

Cheers.

I don't know how many people have noticed, but passengers don't board the AI buses and they don't show the correct destination. I put together a quick fix which you can download here.

Alternatively, you can do it yourself in just a few seconds. To do this, open up "maps\Durham\ailists.cfg" with Notepad and find the following lines:

[aigroup_depot]

Enviro_500

Durham

Remove the two lines containing 1 and 12, so that it now looks like this:

[aigroup_depot]

Enviro_500

Durham

Save it and that's it, fixed. ;)

Thanks Eku.L

Not to apportion blame but the AI List was created by flippy as he helped set it up so that the buses would be run with the Arriva repainted bus (where installed), which seemed to work great. But clearly something's gone slightly amiss for the pax not to be getting onto the AI buses.

I will roll the fix into the master copy and release V1.1 soon with this, and a couple of other improvements in.

The Global.cfg also needs a small tweak to change it to Durham as the default map.

Cheers.

When i was running around just using the ai to tour the map i didn't have any issues with people getting on. They did walk through the side of the bus but soon went to front doors and entered. I have noticed there's not alot of ai traffic. Not a problem as it it might be designed that way just wondered?

Edited by class2ldn

Thanks Eku.L

Not to apportion blame but the AI List was created by flippy as he helped set it up so that the buses would be run with the Arriva repainted bus (where installed), which seemed to work great. But clearly something's gone slightly amiss for the pax not to be getting onto the AI buses.

I will roll the fix into the master copy and release V1.1 soon with this, and a couple of other improvements in.

The Global.cfg also needs a small tweak to change it to Durham as the default map.

Cheers.

i got passengers getting on but at the end destination arnois grove or however u spell it lol. i cant use that as a stand cos the bus jumps like anything but only at that destination?

mike

The low volume of traffic in this Version 1.0 is deliberate; it is because the Enviro 500 is too large for these roads, so it is often necessary to use the oncoming side of the road when turning, and when I originally had more traffic volume, this was causing problems, and big traffic jams!

I will increase the volume of car traffic, once we have a RHD addon bus option which is a bit smaller than the Enviro 500.

Cheers.

PS... Mike, any jumping buses are always performance related to individual PCs.

Have to work 'till late in the evening but i can't wait to try this one. Left hand drive.... i'm really curious how to handle that!

Great map David :)

I edited the ailist much in a D92-style, which is apparently wrong in the world of D500. Typical OMSI - fix one thing, break another!

Re timetables - I will create some bus cards (very basic) highlighting the key stops (Arnison Centre - Leazes, Durham City Centre - 63 ending point and 64 ending point. I will send them to David to put into the Durham map if he wishes. Until then, use the idea David said, SHIFT + Y to get the time and print off the .pdf times. Below is a quick guide to Durham in normal service (9-5pm)

02, 12, 22, 32, 42, 52 - leaving Arnison Centre, alternating between 63 and 64

00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 - arriving/depaturing Leazes, Durham City Centre, alternating between 63 and 64, both sides same time

+ 5 minutes there/back to 63 End Point

+ 10 minutes there/back to 64 End Point

+ 10 minutes turnaround time at 63 End Point

+ 0 minutes turnaround time 64 End Point

+ 4 minutes turnaround time at Arnison Centre