Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
LukeBateson

COMING SOON - DERWENTSIDE

Question

I've been studying the SDK, and think I'm about ready to make a map!

I'm gonna do my local area, and I've created a little 'info-mage' quickly, to outline the basic concept.

Not a lot of details, just the location and such :)

Jat6V.jpg

Radius of planned area:

Lbfrj.png

Not every street/road will be convered, or done in detail, but it'll be good enough! I am a perfectionist :)

Luke

42 answers to this question

I tell you what - ask David he will confirm - I am a huge OCD perfectionist as well - in fact so much that I keep trying to work on my Warwickshire map for OMSI, but everytime I start, even if one building looks out of place or anything looks slightly weird, I delete and start again - its infuriating as hell.

So good luck :)

Excellent! I've been toying with the editor for a while now, would love to do some of my Gateshead routes, but I keep giving up! Not an easy animal to control the Omsi editor!!

Anything I can provide (From a GNE point of view) let me know and I'll see what I can do!

The Omsi Editor isn't really that hard to handle, it's sometimes unpredictable and i'm sure you'll encounter a lot of suprises along the way. Make as much backups as possible and there's not much to loose. I do that every 30 minutes.

I'm also a stickler for details and did some areas of my maps again and again. But there comes a time you have to release and than it really begins! Things running smooth in your environment are not working on other systems. You forget little things and so on.

Be sure it keeps your busy and out of the pub, the editor is really addictive!

Good luck!!

Mr Drive

Excellent! I've been toying with the editor for a while now, would love to do some of my Gateshead routes, but I keep giving up! Not an easy animal to control the Omsi editor!!

Anything I can provide (From a GNE point of view) let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Hmm, can you get 'route maps'? There's one up in the bus station, so it must be on the GNE system somewhere.. :') Just 'cause I've never personally been on the V1, V6 or V9!

The Omsi Editor isn't really that hard to handle, it's sometimes unpredictable and i'm sure you'll encounter a lot of suprises along the way. Make as much backups as possible and there's not much to loose. I do that every 30 minutes.

I'm also a stickler for details and did some areas of my maps again and again. But there comes a time you have to release and than it really begins! Things running smooth in your environment are not working on other systems. You forget little things and so on.

Be sure it keeps your busy and out of the pub, the editor is really addictive!

Good luck!!

Mr Drive

I'll set an automatic backup, keep my mind at ease :P

And i'm not old enough for the pub yet, so that won't be a problem haha!

Excellent! Great to see you're taking this on Luke. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do Derwentside justice.

My words of wisdom for those approaching a map build; remember that the OMSI Editor is not the only building brick in creating a map. There are many stages outside of the Editor that need to be completed (ie... HOF files, Picture.jpg, installers, etc). Thats not meant to scare people off, just that people often fail because they expect the OMSI Editor to build their map, and often the bits that are going wrong may be external to the Editor.

I am working on a 'checklist' document that will help the would-be map builder to ensure 'every box is ticked' ;)

For producing a professional map with as few (or no) bugs as possible, project management and organisational skills are more important than computing skills.

Cheers.

Thanks for the words David!

At the moment, I've built the bus station, and I'm currently in the process, of laying the main roads, if you like.

It's a bigger task than i thought, but i'm getting through it!

I've helped myself, by drawing a little diagram of roads with measurements etc, to get through it quicker :)

Excellent! Great to see you're taking this on Luke. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do Derwentside justice.

My words of wisdom for those approaching a map build; remember that the OMSI Editor is not the only building brick in creating a map. There are many stages outside of the Editor that need to be completed (ie... HOF files, Picture.jpg, installers, etc). Thats not meant to scare people off, just that people often fail because they expect the OMSI Editor to build their map, and often the bits that are going wrong may be external to the Editor.

I am working on a 'checklist' document that will help the would-be map builder to ensure 'every box is ticked' ;)

For producing a professional map with as few (or no) bugs as possible, project management and organisational skills are more important than computing skills.

Cheers.

Words of wisdom indeed. Placing objects and splines is the most easy part. Schedules, hoffiles etc etc is the real challenge!

Edited by Mr Drive

This is not the full checklist document that I was referring to above, but this is what I use when adding routes to existing maps. In principal it contains all of the items required to build a map.

Of course, this doen't tell you how to complete each item, (can't do that in a forum post), but it still has some use in highlighting each of the main areas that need to be considered.

As I said I am working on a more comprehensive 'Excel' based full checklist, as this one here is really just a quick checklist that I use when adding routes to Newcastle Pro.

But feel free to take a look at it anyway, if it helps:-

http://aussiex.org/omsi/Route_Addition_Checklist.docx

Cheers,

David

Brilliant!

Make sure your 'people' are facing the right direction (a very common mistake on many maps is that people place those 'people boxes' the wrong way around and thus, passengers end up facing away from the approaching bus in OMSI. The word 'people' on the side of the box should be written forwards (as opposed to backwards as it is on the other side) when the passengers are placed on the side of the road on which you're facing down. (hard to explain; really simple in practice!).

Fixed and corrected. Just been trying out my first route, made the HOF file etc - all went to plan! Slowly getting there, only ONE thing I couldn't find: HOW DO YOU MAKE A V on the IBIS? I've tried FOREVER |:

Fixed and corrected. Just been trying out my first route, made the HOF file etc - all went to plan! Slowly getting there, only ONE thing I couldn't find: HOW DO YOU MAKE A V on the IBIS? I've tried FOREVER |:

I don't think you can make a 'V' on the IBIS :(

Not all letters of the alphabet are supported on the IBIS (in fact it's quite limited; eg "A", "E", "X", "M" etc).

You might have to drop the 'V' from those Venture routes :( .... but you can type the 'v' into the tracks & trips tab in the editor, so the AI buses can show the 'V' (anything can be entered in that field), but it wouldn't work for user buses, as these use the HOF file, which doesn't support a 'V' as far as I know.

Brilliant!

Make sure your 'people' are facing the right direction (a very common mistake on many maps is that people place those 'people boxes' the wrong way around and thus, passengers end up facing away from the approaching bus in OMSI. The word 'people' on the side of the box should be written forwards (as opposed to backwards as it is on the other side) when the passengers are placed on the side of the road on which you're facing down. (hard to explain; really simple in practice!).

Best way to put this I think is to copy the direction of your bus stop cube(the red cube one, not the pole/sign) for me 90% of the time the passengers face the right direction. I too when starting out made this mistake and once I started copying the direction(or just remembering) from the bus stop I could easily ensure that the passengers faced the right way. Other then that, like David said, practice and you'll get it right. Best of luck and I can't wait to see how this works out.

I don't think you can make a 'V' on the IBIS :(

Not all letters of the alphabet are supported on the IBIS (in fact it's quite limited; eg "A", "E", "X", "M" etc).

You might have to drop the 'V' from those Venture routes :( .... but you can type the 'v' into the tracks & trips tab in the editor, so the AI buses can show the 'V' (anything can be entered in that field), but it wouldn't work for user buses, as these use the HOF file, which doesn't support a 'V' as far as I know.

Ahh bugger. Well I'll just call it the '1' then, and if people want, they can manually put the V in :')

Best way to put this I think is to copy the direction of your bus stop cube(the red cube one, not the pole/sign) for me 90% of the time the passengers face the right direction. I too when starting out made this mistake and once I started copying the direction(or just remembering) from the bus stop I could easily ensure that the passengers faced the right way. Other then that, like David said, practice and you'll get it right. Best of luck and I can't wait to see how this works out.

Thanks for that tip :P