Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

bstikkel

Papua bushlanding on YouTube

8 posts in this topic

To the video

If you are interested in a short but nice vid about a bushlanding on a really small, rather uphill and mountainsurrounded bushstrip, here's a nice YouTube link for you :thumbsup:.

Is it possible to create in FSX such uphill landingstrips, by the way ?

See you later in the air !

Bram Stikkel

Thanks for that Bram :thumbsup: Saw those MAF blokes do some amazing stuff in New Guinea Islands and Bougainville - highly trained and very professional pilots who made risk taking a science

As a pilot and having done a bit of that in RL as a passenger (and NO wish to do it as PIC) I can attest to the "interesting" nature of flying up there.

"Go around" is not possible in some cases from even further out than this strip. Menari, for instance, has only ever had one attempted go around...back in '79... that gentleman and his passengers were extracted from the adjacent hillside over a period of weeks.

Somewhere I have a video of when I walked the Menari strip. Zero interest in ever flying in or out of there but these guys do it every day.

Darryl

Interesting to hear your comments about Menari DarrylH, self and another Kiap instigated the survey, funding and construction of that ALA and also Kagi, Efogi and Nauro :smile: All done as self-help Rural Improvement Programme projects where the magnificent Koiari people provided the labour and accommodation, whilst the TPNG Administration provided technical skills, supervision, windsocks, cones and markers. They were all completed over a 2 year period 1973-75. All pretty hairy to get in or out of, but certainly beat trotting up and down the Kokoda Trail/Track with produce, supplies and medical emergencies :smile:

Interesting to hear your comments about Menari DarrylH, self and another Kiap instigated the survey, funding and construction of that ALA and also Kagi, Efogi and Nauro :smile: All done as self-help Rural Improvement Programme projects where the magnificent Koiari people provided the labour and accommodation, whilst the TPNG Administration provided technical skills, supervision, windsocks, cones and markers. They were all completed over a 2 year period 1973-75. All pretty hairy to get in or out of, but certainly beat trotting up and down the Kokoda Trail/Track with produce, supplies and medical emergencies :smile:

So it's your fault??? :smile:

Kagi to Efogi (or vice versa) is still, to my knowledge, the shortest scheduled commercial flight in the world.

Of all of them, Kagi would be the only one I would feel comfortable flying into. I could live with flying out of all but Efogi. The climb to get out of that little box just looks too interesting for my tastes. All, of course as a passenger!

Of course the mining road does make Menari a little more accessable these days if the strip is o/s (wet, clouded in etc etc.)even if it is a day's bush bashing. Having also seen the boys carry a heart attack victim for four hours down to Nadouri, I think under those conditions I would be more than happy to use your ALA's!!!!

I'm a big fan of the Koiari. Wonderful people, once you establish a frame of reference!

The other Kiap..wouldn't have been Warren Bartlett would it?

Still floating around Sogeri these days.

Regards

Darryl

Edited by DarrylH

Warren wasn't in the area in those days Darryl. The prime instigator and initial surveyor was the late Clive Single (then DO/ADC Ela Beach), I got behind Clive at a District level initially as DO(SD) to win funding, then relieved Clive for quite a while at Ela Beach (while he acted "up" as DDC and sometimes DC Central District) and I organized completion of the projects with staff of ADO Frank Young and PO's Milne, Joyce and Nicholson. They did most of the "leg" work as I was heavily involved in the planning, survey and commencement of a road construction project from Owers Corner to Ioribaiwa/Naoru. Sogeri Patrol Post was re-opened by me during this period after several years of closure with PO Nicholson as OIC. I spent most weekends at a base camp near Owers Corner for a couple of years, returning to Moresby/Ela Beach for the working week. Ahh the good old days when ordinary people could get things done without too much BS :thumbsup: Cheers Terry

Thanks for the background Terry,

It is interesting to hear how some of these things got done. I suspect that these days you would have to crawl over some mid level bureaucrat (and pay the appropriate "fee") to get anything done. How long since you've been back?

Have stayed out at Ela Beach (but on the flat, not up the hill) nice area..if one can call any part of PM "nice".

I love and hate PNG in equal measures even though I've only spent a total of six weeks up there. But that was all in "The Jungles" either on or preparing for the Track.

Last time we were dodging an escaped possee of murderers and bank robbers...they eventually re-captured most of them (Madang boys mainly, I believe)when they came in starving and "dying of thirst" said the paper (although HOW you manage THAT I don't know??)near Sogeri, right where we had been.

Anyhow, nice to chat!!

Darryl

Edited by DarrylH

Glad you enjoyed a little history Darryl :thumbsup: It's 50 years since I first walked the Kokoda Trail/Track :laugh: Was in TPNG 1950-75 and left PNG on Australia's election day 13-12-1975. At that point the PNGDF was taking on the final construction of the first 12 miles of the road from Owers Corner down to Uberi No.1 village as a civic action project with funds we had organized previously (the road didn't follow the Trail/Track and 8 miles was a rebuild of an incomplete WWII road). Never been back - my time up there was finished, albeit prematurely.

The Moresby Sub-District Office was a 1920's building on the flat at Ela Beach in between the RSL and Red Cross Buildings, the original Public Library was in there as well. I've heard they all burnt down some years back except for the RSL. A great place to work in, nice swimming beach, coldies and music next door with medical attention and light reading for the hangovers if required :laugh:

Moresby and surrounds started to get pretty tough from the mid-1960s on after they cut back on police night patrols and let the squatters move in (UN said the Administration was infringing human rights by controlling crime and and stopping migration to the big smoke of totally unskilled and unemployable rural villagers).

Anyway I think I've hijacked Bram's thread enough :o Thanks again for the great vid link Bram :thumbsup: Cheers to you Darryl :D Terry