Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cowell ready for testing!

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I've gotten Cowell almost finished, can you guys give me some feedback? I've put it up on 4shared, and I think it's good except for the fact that not everybody is me, and it has to please everybody wink.gif .

1222673399.jpg

Thankies, send me a PM if you can test wink.gif

Posted

Post your link so it can be downloaded

Posted

AlexDz,

I really like the picture, that's a clever way to show the airfield. Great work!

Posted

Like your runway layout. Well defined. But you have overdone the flatten. Clay/Sand runways need a bit of life in them.

Your terminal area needs more buildings. Have a look at it in Google Earth.

You need a road ot at least a track to give access to terminal area. Don't like the way the taxiway extends over the concrete area. Suggest you cut it off at the start of the concrete.

You have made quite a good start. A bit more work and you will have a winner.

Jack

Posted

Like your runway layout. Well defined. But you have overdone the flatten. Clay/Sand runways need a bit of life in them.

Your terminal area needs more buildings. Have a look at it in Google Earth.

You need a road ot at least a track to give access to terminal area. Don't like the way the taxiway extends over the concrete area. Suggest you cut it off at the start of the concrete.

You have made quite a good start. A bit more work and you will have a winner.

Jack

I honestly don't know how to give life to sand/clay runways :S.

There are only 3 buildings by the area in Google Earth.

I'll re-do the blending on the road part icon_e_smile.gif.

Edit: check the 4shared thing again, I just updated the files with the new AFCAD and blend wink.gif.

Posted

Gday Alex

Firstly welcome to the developers dark side icon_e_biggrin.gif Great First Effort, you really chose a hard one for a first up. Please take the following as pointers for improvement on your great effort, beleive me I know how much effort is involved to get to where you are. I will try to offer solutions if possible not just comments.

I personally don't like the afcad look of the airport. I would redo your photo real layer to include the whole airport parcel around all boundaries. This is because the land class around the airport doesn't match and by having a larger PR you get rid of most of your land class issues (I know this I just tried it). You will need to copy any stuff you don't want coloured to a higher layer and then you can use the FTXAU Blue colour matcher SDK (do you have this if not let me know and I will send it to you) to match the grass, your's looks a little but fluorescent at the moment.

You need to give the runways 'life'' and this really means getting rid of the afcad grass and dirt textures. The only afcad texture that works OK is bitumen, the rest look too neat and tidy. HCornea would suggest setting runways and taxiways to 0.2m, that way they retain their functionality but you cant see them in the sim, instead you will get your lovely photoreal runways. (Again I just tried this and it works well). Similary remove the tarmac it looks a bit artificial.

The buildings look a bit too large airpoirt for me. From the GE Image it looks as though you have the typical galvanised iron hangar, would suggest there are a few hangars in the RoyalsXA library that would suit. Place your buildings then remove the building shadow/white markers on your PR with the clone tool. Also the windsock is a generic ms windsock and poorly animated, you will find a heap of good windsocks in the ICR Fsdevloper windsock library. I generally usewhite as orange is military from memory.

One of the runways obviously has runway edge lighting. When you put the runway to 0.2m you will need to remove the lighting as well, then you will need to go into the sim with IS and using the UKVFR library there are some runway edge lights you can place along the edge, if you look closely at the PR image you can see the little white dots where the lights are.

Finally the terrain. It is very flat because there is a big default flatten for the airport, I don't know how to get rid of this, hopefully one of the other developers chimes in because I would be interested in how to do this as well.

Great Job Alex, can't wait to see the finished result.

Cheers

Jerry

Posted

Gday Alex

Firstly welcome to the developers dark side icon_e_biggrin.gif Great First Effort, you really chose a hard one for a first up. Please take the following as pointers for improvement on your great effort, beleive me I know how much effort is involved to get to where you are. I will try to offer solutions if possible not just comments.

I personally don't like the afcad look of the airport. I would redo your photo real layer to include the whole airport parcel around all boundaries. This is because the land class around the airport doesn't match and by having a larger PR you get rid of most of your land class issues (I know this I just tried it). You will need to copy any stuff you don't want coloured to a higher layer and then you can use the FTXAU Blue colour matcher SDK (do you have this if not let me know and I will send it to you) to match the grass, your's looks a little but fluorescent at the moment.

You need to give the runways 'life'' and this really means getting rid of the afcad grass and dirt textures. The only afcad texture that works OK is bitumen, the rest look too neat and tidy. HCornea would suggest setting runways and taxiways to 0.2m, that way they retain their functionality but you cant see them in the sim, instead you will get your lovely photoreal runways. (Again I just tried this and it works well). Similary remove the tarmac it looks a bit artificial.

The buildings look a bit too large airpoirt for me. From the GE Image it looks as though you have the typical galvanised iron hangar, would suggest there are a few hangars in the RoyalsXA library that would suit. Place your buildings then remove the building shadow/white markers on your PR with the clone tool. Also the windsock is a generic ms windsock and poorly animated, you will find a heap of good windsocks in the ICR Fsdevloper windsock library. I generally usewhite as orange is military from memory.

One of the runways obviously has runway edge lighting. When you put the runway to 0.2m you will need to remove the lighting as well, then you will need to go into the sim with IS and using the UKVFR library there are some runway edge lights you can place along the edge, if you look closely at the PR image you can see the little white dots where the lights are.

Finally the terrain. It is very flat because there is a big default flatten for the airport, I don't know how to get rid of this, hopefully one of the other developers chimes in because I would be interested in how to do this as well.

Great Job Alex, can't wait to see the finished result.

Cheers

Jerry

The thing is though, I saturated the outer parts of the PR layer VERY much, it looked like an AU red strip in the beginning.

And I don't have the colour matcher SDK and UKVFR library, royalsXA library, :S, so please send me those, if you can.

And what do you mean by putting them to 0.2m? o.O, and the tarmac is where the parking connects to the runways, right?

Posted

Hey Alex

I will do my best. The runways and taxiways are set to 0.2 metres so that you can retain AI traffic. If set to 0.0m there are problems with AI Traffis. I have not done a field with AI traffic yet so If I'm wrong someone will hopefully point it out, but that's my understanding of it.

The UKVFR Library is available for download on this board. Cant remember the exact link but use the search function and just search for ukvfr library.

The royals library will be available to you in IS if you have either or both of ORBX or Ozx freeware stuff. You might need to open the options in IS and slect non-local libraries that's all. If you are only using sbuilderx for scenery placement it's a little harder and I'll have to email you some stuff. Would definetely recommend IS for adding scenery objects though.

The FTX AU colour Matcher i can send also but do you have an email i can use easily? Send me a PM. Just find adding attachments on this board a little tedious. The tarmac yes the bit connecting the runway, thing is if you use the colour matcher you need to slect out the whites and any bitumen areas otherwise they get coloured too. Your red GE image works fine with the colour matcher I tried it . But I'll let you figure all that out. Send me a PM with your email and I'll get those files over to you.

Posted

Hey Alex

I will do my best. The runways and taxiways are set to 0.2 metres so that you can retain AI traffic. If set to 0.0m there are problems with AI Traffis. I have not done a field with AI traffic yet so If I'm wrong someone will hopefully point it out, but that's my understanding of it.

The UKVFR Library is available for download on this board. Cant remember the exact link but use the search function and just search for ukvfr library.

The royals library will be available to you in IS if you have either or both of ORBX or Ozx freeware stuff. You might need to open the options in IS and slect non-local libraries that's all. If you are only using sbuilderx for scenery placement it's a little harder and I'll have to email you some stuff. Would definetely recommend IS for adding scenery objects though.

The FTX AU colour Matcher i can send also but do you have an email i can use easily? Send me a PM. Just find adding attachments on this board a little tedious. The tarmac yes the bit connecting the runway, thing is if you use the colour matcher you need to slect out the whites and any bitumen areas otherwise they get coloured too. Your red GE image works fine with the colour matcher I tried it . But I'll let you figure all that out. Send me a PM with your email and I'll get those files over to you.

I don't have instant scenery and I've used up my allowance :S.

I'm using AFCAD to put in autogen and such.

Posted

I'm using AFCAD to put in autogen and such.

I presume you mean placing scenery objects (autogen is a little different - and a whole 'nother topic altogether)

And would that be ADE? I presume not AFCAD 2.21, which whilst it will work .. will lack some FSX functionality.

Instant Scenery is seriously worth the very small dent in the credit card, and on an hourly basiswill pay for itself in about 2 days! smile.gif

Posted

I presume you mean placing scenery objects (autogen is a little different - and a whole 'nother topic altogether)

And would that be ADE? I presume not AFCAD 2.21, which whilst it will work .. will lack some FSX functionality.

Instant Scenery is seriously worth the very small dent in the credit card, and on an hourly basiswill pay for itself in about 2 days! smile.gif

that's the thing, I currently have no money :S.

And yes, I mean scenery objects icon_e_smile.gif.

And yes, it's ADE.

I'm 13, by the way, so that's why I don't have any $, and FTX Blue got rid of my monthly allowance.

Posted

13 icon_e_surprised.gif

Fantastic! Great to see addiction to all things FS starting so young.

The other thing you may like to check out is Whisplacer - which is said to be about as good as IS. (and its free ... which should suit your budget)

Posted

13 icon_e_surprised.gif

Fantastic! Great to see addiction to all things FS starting so young.

The other thing you may like to check out is Whisplacer - which is said to be about as good as IS. (and its free ... which should suit your budget)

Yeah, I have Whisplacer, and I'm serious about 13 icon_razz.gif. (Already passed the test to get my Sports license here in the US, though no glider has the range to get to aussieland, sorry.

Posted

I honestly don't know how to give life to sand/clay runways :S.

Hi Alex

I am the new developer on the block here & I have hesitated to say much because I am still at the beginning of my learning curve and clearly you know so much more than I do about many areas, including ADE. I have found making clay/dirt runways pretty difficult and I wanted to encourage you to stick at it until you get the hang of it. I had to learn that an appearance that might suit me, was not necessarily seen the same way by the community here. But the great thing that I found was that if I kept trying to improve, I would get friendly & helpful advice in return until I began to work out some of the basics.

So here are the things I found the most helpful - it's not related to your great work on Cowell; just general stuff:

* Dont flatten dirt runways more than you can help.

* Stick to a simple airfield for 1st efforts.

* Make the edge of the dirt area as distinct as possible. And consider displaying tyre-worn strips.

* When blending, select & protect roads/runways/concrete etc from colour changes.

* In Photoshop, use colour balance if possible rather than colourise. Be very sparing with increases in lightness & desaturation.

I hope you find this helpful and if not, just put it down to my inexperience. wink.gif I'm sure the others will soon tell us if I have said anything wrong!

Sandy

Posted

Hi Alex

I am the new developer on the block here & I have hesitated to say much because I am still at the beginning of my learning curve and clearly you know so much more than I do about many areas, including ADE. I have found making clay/dirt runways pretty difficult and I wanted to encourage you to stick at it until you get the hang of it. I had to learn that an appearance that might suit me, was not necessarily seen the same way by the community here. But the great thing that I found was that if I kept trying to improve, I would get friendly & helpful advice in return until I began to work out some of the basics.

So here are the things I found the most helpful - it's not related to your great work on Cowell; just general stuff:

* Dont flatten dirt runways more than you can help.

* Stick to a simple airfield for 1st efforts.

* Make the edge of the dirt area as distinct as possible. And consider displaying tyre-worn strips.

* When blending, select & protect roads/runways/concrete etc from colour changes.

* In Photoshop, use colour balance if possible rather than colourise. Be very sparing with increases in lightness & desaturation.

I hope you find this helpful and if not, just put it down to my inexperience. wink.gif I'm sure the others will soon tell us if I have said anything wrong!

Sandy

I didn't learn about colour match with the "SDK" colour matcher until after I spent hours getting seasons mildly right XD.

I did a few more updates, but I'll re-package it all tonight and update it icon_e_smile.gif.

Posted

Instead of tricking your taxiways into not showing the texture by setting them to 0.2m, use an apron link. They don't have a texture associated with them, and the AI will follow them OK.

They still flatten the terrain like all of the ADE/AFCAD style elements, but you don't have to pull any slight of hand with quirks in the FSX engine to get what you are looking for. Of course if you are looking to get slopes to the runways and taxiways like the native terain, then you can't use ADE or the like to make your airport at all. Any element set like that will flatten out the terain, and all the approaches to it will look strange unless you have your Terrain mesh configured to rediculously sparse levels (defeating the purpose of having Holgers or any other good terrain elevation).

cheers

Bungo

Posted

Instead of tricking your taxiways into not showing the texture by setting them to 0.2m, use an apron link. They don't have a texture associated with them, and the AI will follow them OK.

They still flatten the terrain like all of the ADE/AFCAD style elements, but you don't have to pull any slight of hand with quirks in the FSX engine to get what you are looking for. Of course if you are looking to get slopes to the runways and taxiways like the native terain, then you can't use ADE or the like to make your airport at all. Any element set like that will flatten out the terain, and all the approaches to it will look strange unless you have your Terrain mesh configured to rediculously sparse levels (defeating the purpose of having Holgers or any other good terrain elevation).

cheers

Bungo

Actually, I deleted the taxiways, I'll re-add them tonight, besides, they were curved anyway, thank you for the tip icon_e_smile.gif.

Posted

Alex, you are learning fast. Thank you for getting rid of that runway..

Now firstly, please do not post a file called "scenery.zip". Always name your folders with the name of the airfield. It makes things a lot easier for everyone.

You are getting closer to having your work accepted with every passing day.

One fault , I am surprised you didn't notice yourself, Well look at the screenie!

Two things wrong. 1. Hangers don't float. 2. The doors are half below ground so an aircraft couldn't get in.

How you fix it is up yo you.. I would suggest you move the hanger forward in front of the silos. Give it a little flatten and it should be ok.

cowell.jpg

I don't realy like the placement of your hanger, partialy on the tarmac. Perhaps it could be moved a little on to the grass.

And lastly your airfield looks dead. It needs some life in it.. Perhaps find a hanger with open doors. And perhaps park a car or a ute or two outside.

I don't know what librarys you have access to. Perhaps one of the devs might be able to help you out.

But be assured you have talent. Just keep at it until it all comes right. Make your first effort a good one.

Posted

What the hell is that? icon_e_surprised.gif

I never put silo's in there... Nor did I put that specific hangar in there, and everything else is flattened...

One minute, lemme check this out!

Posted

I've got some feedback.........................why isnt your chopper one of my Aussie repaints!!!!!! lol just jokes mate!! your doing great keep it up and remember its constructive stuff everyone is just trying to help shape you into a great designer.

Cheers

AC

Posted

Hi Alex, your link at 4share doesn't work.

cheers

Posted

Hi Alex, your link at 4share doesn't work.

cheers

Yeah, I deleted that link cause apparently it was confusing based off of my file names.

I gave jgrugshow (spelling that off of memory, bear with me) a link to my folder to post, and I believe he'll post the link to the folder icon_e_smile.gif.

Posted

This is a better effort.

But, get rid of one windsock.

Add some runway markers. Threshhold and lateral.

Straighten your tarmac sides. Get rid of the zig-zags

Cowell3.jpg

Posted

This is a better effort.

But, get rid of one windsock.

Add some runway markers. Threshhold and lateral.

Straighten your tarmac sides. Get rid of the zig-zags

Cowell3.jpg

It looks kind of awkward just being a square.

And I fixed those windsocks.

Check the updated scenery, I just uploaded the update icon_e_smile.gif.

I'll fix the tarmac and add runway markers right away.

Posted

Didn't I tell you yesterday. ONE FOLDER!. Why do I now get Cowell1.zip?

Everything into Cowell. Get rid of Cowell1