No replies to this topic

#1 Grocs

Grocs
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:flight simming, xbox 360, golf

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hey all,

Well - after much deliberation I had decided to basically switch PCs. I was running a Q6600 Quad Core with 4 gb DDR2-800 ram and a 8800 GT card. Now I am running pretty much the same spec machine except it runs a 8 core 2.8 Ghz Xeon processor (Mac Pro - Early 2008). This has been used primarly by my wife in the past (WoW) and I thought I'd put my windows 7 64 bit on to that machine via Bootcamp.

I have only installed FSX, SP1, Acceleration and the ORBx FTX stuff, plus YCDR. I intend (of course) on finalising the installation by putting on OZx 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 when I get home from work tonight.

First impressions on flying with the new 64 bit Windows and the Xeon processor are, in one word, amazing.

Who would have thought a Xeon processor and Windows 7 64 bit could make that much of a difference in FSX? Even loading times has descreased dramatically, despite it being a similar hard disk to what I had before.

I shouldn't be surprised really - FSX is very CPU intensive but to see it using all 8 cores is just amazing. I've pretty much doubled my frame rate - plus setting Autogen from Normal to Dense.

Using the mentioned FPS limiter 3rd party program that I've heard so much about - panning around in virtual cockpit view is just amazing now - no hiccups or jerkiness.

With how well this is running at the moment - I'm not even going to attempt to tweak it. Why fiddle with something that isn't broken?

I really wasn't expecting to see this sort of performance increase - the only thing that would improve it now is to go with my original thought of putting a slightly better video card in it (250gt Nvidia 1gb is what i'm thinking).

If you guys are going to be on tonight - hoping to have everything installed and ready to fly - will see you there.

A final note - my wife is happy too as WoW runs just fine on my old beast. :)

Edited by Grocs, 16 July 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users