Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

YNAU Nannup & YPLP PerthLangleyPark

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've sent the zipfile address to Mark but I think the PR1 for Perth is too big. I used 100 instead of my usual 80 compression. Please PM me with suggestions? screenshots here www.alanblencowe.com/imagesalan/03FSXaussieXcompatiblescenery.htm

Edited by shedman51

Posted

Hi Alan,

The link doesn't click!

Even without knowing the filesize, 100% for compression will be too big. It'll look great but be monstrous in size! 85 is generally the "sweet-point" for size-vs-clarity

There is a gallery here, which you can access - and it would be great if you could post the screenshots here - keeps the site functional with fewer broken links - the "Bulk Uploader" works a treat, and it does BBCode automatically for you!

So is this a submission for inclusion in OzX? or a standalone package "compatible with OzX" -- I must confess to being just a little confused.

Posted (edited)

Hi Ian,I've recompiled the PR at 85 compression and made the zipfile available to Mark for review. It is my intent to be guided by other developers and create for OZx but my fields might not get a gurnsey as they have the dreaded start points. I created about 50 fields for VOZ but with all the changes, I lost track of the web location and have been creating standalone for about a year. I intend to replace all my previous fields in time. I don't know how to upload screenshots but will give it a try. In the meantime if you paste the url text in the address bar it will work.

Edited by shedman51

Posted

Hi Alan

mmm Langley Park does not have a ICAO code that i am aware of and is only used for the Red Bull air race and the odd Vintage aircraft display

Regards

Dennis

Posted

I'll play around with it but I'm not sure if ADE will let me create it without one.

Posted

Alan, I'd skip the whole ADE thing. It really doesn't need it.

The only requirement I can see for an AFX/AFCAD file is if there is a "default" one in FSX - that needs altering to match the scenery more closely - or if you are doing a glider strip that requires tow-planes to function.

If there is an airport within coo-ee, then it is a fairly simple task to start from there, and proceed.

The FSX AFCAD engine makes for very "computerised" looking airstrips, and really doesn't provide the realistic look you are no-doubt looking for.

Posted

I don't know how to upload screenshots but will give it a try.

Let's start there:

Up the Top of the OzX Page is a link called "Gallery" - click it.

This will take you to the OzX Gallery, Next Click on the OzX Registered Members link

There is a button on the Top Right that says "New Album"

Convert your pictures to jpg (with a level of compression that makes the filesize reasonable, uncompressed bmp files are very non-web friendly)

Use either the Upload Button, or the Bulk upload button.

Now (here's the fun bit)

If you click any of your recently uploaded pictures, there will be included some BBCode that you can copy and paste into a forum message to post a screenshot. Its even simpler than making scenery ;)

Posted

Thanks Ian

Here they are.

gallery_184_54_36108.jpg

gallery_184_54_42980.jpg

Posted

I'm thinking I'll take out the runway om Langley and include a smaller pr for the strip with the markings painted in. I've uploaded the zipfile again because I left some objects out of the library.

Posted

Alan I took a flight over YNAU yesterday and have posted the pictures in the OZx forum gallery. They're not artwork, but should give you an idea of what objects need placing, and their spacing and layout. For placing things with "Instant Scenery" I'd recommend looking at the OZx object libraries as there are some good "WA style" cone markers that Ian made a while back that don't "pop" in as you approach the airfield.

Some shots are blurrier than others, but they could be rectified and stitched to give a much more detailed/crisp PR than the Google Earth alternative.

Unfortunately I couldn't get any shots from above 1000AGL ( to give more of an overview) due smoke haze and cloud.

Posted

Thanks Squeeker, The Country airstrip guide said gravel but it is so green in GE I assumed it had grown over. I'm not sure I'd be able to pull those shots square enough to get a PR but I'll work on the objects. I've uploaded the zipfile with the library objects all edited so they show from about 3nm. I'd left a couple out anyway.

Next point, Mark has suggested a better windsock from FSDeveloper and I've downloaded one but it is FS9. Is that the one to use?

Posted

Next point, Mark has suggested a better windsock from FSDeveloper and I've downloaded one but it is FS9. Is that the one to use?

Alan, I'll leave it to someone else to field that one. I only use instant scenery, and almost every time that I've placed a windsock, it has been from the icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl library. I might have used one from the ozx_windanimated_LIB.bgl library also. That might help.

Posted

Probably best not to use the windanimated LIBRARY directly.

icr_fsdeveloper_windosock_LIB has basic windsocsk. There are some others in OzX_AirportObjects_LIB.bgl which I made, and are a little "fancier"

Make sure they are placed with heading Zero. Scale to your preference

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ian, I'll register the Library and borrow that one. Squeeker, I've pasted one layer in my test background. It's a bit hazy but the colour is better. I'll try sharpening it later once all the layers are amalgamated. If you don't mind guys, I'll hold back on Langley Park and work on Nannup so hang onto the files if you like but I won't put them in the next zipfile update. I have a few objects there such as microwave towers that may be useful. They are coloured rather than textured but have lots of detail if you slew in close.

gallery_184_54_470815.jpg

Edited by shedman51

Posted

Squeeker, I've pasted one layer in my test background. It's a bit hazy but the colour is better. I'll try sharpening it later once all the layers are amalgamated.

Alan, I thought I'd have a stab at the same thing, earlier on today, just to see if it was possible.

here's a first draft of some of the original pics that I've rectified and merged, then placed on the GE image, so that they would conform to your original work. It still needs a lot of tweaking to bring it up to standard. After that the usual alterations would be needed to colour match FTX seasons.

The original that I'm working with is about 5000pixels wide. These two pics are scaled down to be viewable from within the forum post:

1257118285.jpg

1257103660.jpg

Posted

Alan, you already have the objects. They are in OZX_3

Steve, that looks marvellous. Even as a hi-res overlaid PR (a few tricks can be employed) that will scrub up quite nicely.

Posted (edited)

Hi Squeeker, I got there with all the seasons, LM W and B but I'm not impressed with the result as I have lost the detail and the image appears very shiny in the sim. I can't blame it on the haze because yours came out with the detail mostly intact. What is the trick? Is it in getting the perspective image in one shot? (I havent blended the edges yet)

gallery_184_54_303544.jpg

Edited by shedman51

Posted

What is the trick? Is it in getting the perspective image in one shot? (I havent blended the edges yet)

I'm not sure that I understand the question Alan.

I just took the best (that is the least hazy) shots - and then placed them in layers over the original Google Earth image as a template. The entire sheet is very large (ovver 5000 pixels wide), and so it preserves the original resolution as much as possible. I joined around 9 or 10 aerial source pictures to get to the stage that I posted earlier. Then just a matter or brightness/contrast and colour balance adjustments to make the separate pics merge visually.

I should have made my post clearer, in that, if you wanted to use my work you were welcome to. I didnt't mean for either of us to re-invent the wheel, it was just that when I heard that you thought it might not be possible to patch the shots together, I wanted to find out how hard it would be - I wasn't even expecting to achieve a useable result.

As for the "shinyness" - that is the domain of the scenery devs here - Importing images into the sim as PRs is not something I've had much experience with.

Posted (edited)

That's the answer then. I worked from your online JPG which is only 1600 pixels. If it's ok, I'll pm you with my email address and can I get the originals for 4 of your shots? (And it did look better once I blended the edges)

PS and that shot on overhead; was that 1000 AGL or 1000 ASL? :rolleyes: Perhaps I shouldn't ask.

Edited by shedman51

Posted (edited)

That's the answer then. I worked from your online JPG which is only 1600 pixels. If it's ok, I'll pm you with my email address and can I get the originals for 4 of your shots? (And it did look better once I blended the edges)

The .jpegs posted in the forum gallery are the original sizes Alan, I don't have any bigger than that. The sheet that I have that is 5000pixels wide is that width because I have joined multiple 1600pixel wide images.

If you like I can send you what I've done so far and you can refine that. If so do you want it in .psd or .bmp format?

This is the stitched image link: Nannup stitched runway in.psd format (48mb)

EDIT - I've just realised that the forum gallery has re-sized the orginal images down. Most of the originals are between 2000pixels and 3000pixels wide.

This is the link to the complete set of source images: YNAU Source Images (22mb)

Edited by squeeker

Posted

Thanks Steve, I've got them and made a start. The problem I had was that the GE background tile from SBX was only 1280 pixels wide and 92 dpi so I was compressing everything right from the start. I've tripled the size of the background for my working file and now nothing should compress until I do the first compile in SBX.

Posted

Always get the highest res image you can (unless it is jus too big)

You can't upscale an image, but you can downscale, and downsampling always looks better.

The only downsize is marginally longer compile times, but really, for this size imag .. I don;t think that's a problem.

Posted

Thanks for all the advice and I'm pretty much going back to square one and re-working everything. Mark has made the comment that my modells look like FS2002 so I've uploaded the zipfile again with a testfield and just the models. If it's OK, I wouldn't mind if you had a look at them and offered some suggestions. Am I condensing the textures too much and losing the detail? Are there any particular models that need more modelling detail? There is an email address in the textfile or you can PM me.

If you go to WA Testfield and start from runway 10, LIB1 is on the left and LIB2 is on the right.

gallery_184_54_105288.jpg