Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

JayKae

North America :: OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux 1.20

thumb-30ffd13933191977f66ab6083fa6956a-.jpg

File Name: OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux 1.20

File Submitter: JayKae

File Submitted: 04 Jul 2009

File Category: North America

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Model: Goose

Specifications: HD Redux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPafNtGvNo

THIS IS A NEW FULL VERSION, IF YOU HAD THE FILE NAMED OZx_Goose_HD_v1.00.zip AND YOU WANT TO UPDATE, PLEASE GO HERE TO DOWNLOAD.

WARNING!! IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR OLD DEFAULT GOOSE, AS THE OZX GRUMMAN GOOSE HD REDUX WILL OVERWRITE CERTAIN FILES IN YOUR DEFAULT FOLDERS.

The Grumman Goose first took to the skies in 1936 during the golden years of aviation and was immortalised in the TV series "Tales of the Gold Monkey". Within the sim fraternity there have been a number of addon versions of this classic aeroplane and Microsoft's rendition of this rare and famous aircraft leapt into our simulated skies towards the end of 2006 with the release of the final version of their long running simulator series - FSX.

The Grumman Goose itself is extremely rare with only 345 airframes produced. There are approximately 60 remaining in service throughout the world today and the number of pilots with endorsements on this type are few and far between. We have been lucky enough to have access to a pilot who has flown the Goose and has been able to assist with our remodelling of the aircraft's performance files.

The Goose has proven extremely versatile and has seen operational service as a freighter, passenger transport, military transport and even as a flying yacht installed with bars and toilets. It has held roles with Army, Airforce, Navy, Coastguard and has served around the far flung, four corners of the world.

Microsoft's model of the G21A Grumman Goose has been a sleeper; well received in certain quarters but providing generally ho-hum graphics and flight model. It had a bland interior and was crying out for some high quality paints. When the team at AussieX started investigating this aircraft for our HD Redux treatment it was also discovered that the performance files for this bird were derived from an assortment of different Goose models; a lot of fine tuning was going to be required to get this bird to behave as close to the real life aircraft as possible.

We think we have succeeded with this ambitious tasking. We offer two different models of the Goose - the original model with 450hp Pratt & Whitney radials and an uprated version dubbed the 'HP' (High Performance) with more powerful 650hp engines. Both models have had significant performance tweaking to make them behave as much as possible like their real life counterparts. In addition to this remodelling of the flight characteristics we have overhauled the interior of the aircraft with high resolution virtual cockpits. Engine gauges have been recalibrated for both engine models of our Goose and there are a number of different virtual cockpits available in our aircraft.

Finally we have provided six high-definition paint schemes for this aircraft in both 450hp and HP-650hp versions. These 4096 pixel textures include every rivet, screw, dent and panel-line hand placed on normal, specular and diffusion texture maps. What this means for you the pilot is a gorgeous rendition of the metal framed G21 Goose just waiting to grace your monitor with realism and authenticity.

Please take the time to download our freeware update to this rare and beautiful aircraft and let us know how much you enjoy her by posting your screenshots and stories.

Hi all

This is my first post here, and I wanted to thank you for the hard work on this new rendition of the Goose. Since I saw the screenshots on sim-outhouse for the first time, I really had much anticipation on this one :yes: Download is almost complete now ! :)

Thanks to all the people involved :thumbsup: Thanks to OZx !

Best regards

Aprimatic

Edited by aprimatic

Thank you JayKae :)

I just had my first (quick) flight with the new Goose around Sikta in Alaska, and I had a blast ! I love the new textures sets, both inside and outside. When looking at this new baby from the outside, I was impressed by all the details you put on it : scratches here and there, dust, rivets, beautiful tyre textures, and so on. In the cockpit, I love the brighter aspect of the new HD dashboard and the contrast it produces with the gauges. BTW, thanks for the beautiful picture :D I also was very surprised by the spray produced by the bird when it started to evolve on the water : just lovely !

Since I'm just a rookie/average simmer, I'm really not the right person the evaluate the accuracy of the new flight model, but I'm sure you did great job here too. :)

To sum up : the new Goose is brilliant :thumbsup: It will be so much fun to visit the beautiful Australia and the wild Alaska at the commands of this new bird.

Once again, thank you very much !

Cheers,

Aprimatic

PS: Sorry for my english :(

Hey mate, I did not make it but the guys who did will appreciate this very much as well

Since I'm just a rookie/average simmer, I'm really not the right person the evaluate the accuracy of the new flight model, but I'm sure you did great job here too

Yes you are because if you like it, it is good :)

Don't worry about your English, it is more than fine

Hi

Overall the plane is extremely well done. Only two things were that it is fairly hard to taxi (mind you I think may of been the saitek throttle flicking on engine 1 and not your programming) The only other question is that on landing on water even when I coast as slow as possible without stalling the plane will land and show the wave file but then I get the green spalsh screen and restart. Hoping I am doing something wrong as the floats are down and the plane quite happily moves along until almost stationary.

Ken

Hi Ken

That's strange indeed. I did a few water landings and I did not experience what you are describing. :( I hope you will manage to sort this out.

BTW, it's maybe related to my FSX installation, but I noticed a minor issue. When the plane touches the ground and gains a certain speed in order to take off, I noticed small white triangles on the inside of the tyres. They disappear as soon as the plane actually takes off and the wheels stop spinning.

Ok, time to get back in the Goose now !! :wub:

Cheers,

Aprimatic

Edited by aprimatic

Hi,

I'm new to float planes so please forgive me if the questions don't make too much sense.

I just downloaded the Goose and she looks great. I am having a couple of small problems:

• - If I leave the throttles at idle, the oil lights come on and the engines stop. I've recalibrated my throttle quadrant but there was no change. Do the throttles need to be left partially engaged to keep the engines running?
    - I am having a lot of problems steering the Goose on the water. I've tried the MS keyboard control to lower the water rudder but it does not seem to make a difference. I've also tried to steer using the throttles but it takes forever to turn even with a substantial amount of differential. Is there another technique to turn in a reasonable radius?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie - KSBP

Edited by cfelix

Hi, very impressive job. You all have certainly taken things to a new level !

I do have a couple of questions regarding the engines. In the standard 450 hp version I only get 1300 rpm on engine ground run up and the RPMs seem sluggish in general. With the 450 hp version I get about 12 Gallons per hour per engine and with the 650 hp engine I get between 6 and 7 Gallons per hour at cruise settings. I believe the R-985 was closer to 20 GPH. It was mentioned that the gauges have been modified to match your engines. I am wondering if they were left out or I messed up the installation in some way.

In checking for the R-985 specs I can find no reference to an R-985 SG or a 650 hp engine. The only things I could find were the 985 started out in the 1930s at 300 hp and eventually rose to 450 hp by the end of WW2. Is the SG version a special build engine? I hope I don't come across as complaining because I am not.

Thanks, William

• - If I leave the throttles at idle, the oil lights come on and the engines stop. I've recalibrated my throttle quadrant but there was no change. Do the throttles need to be left partially engaged to keep the engines running?
    - I am having a lot of problems steering the Goose on the water. I've tried the MS keyboard control to lower the water rudder but it does not seem to make a difference. I've also tried to steer using the throttles but it takes forever to turn even with a substantial amount of differential. Is there another technique to turn in a reasonable radius?

@ Charlie

- Engines don't idle - that's by design, you need to keep the throttles cracked open a tad, just like in the real ones. :)

- The Goose does not have a water rudder, at least the version we modelled so you'll need to use the engines to turn.

@ William

The R985-SG (Supercharged Geared) was a small run production version. Try this: http://aussiex.org/ozxrepaints/butch/Wasp_Jr_Index.pdf

Have fun!

Butch

I really love this aircraft. I quite liked to default but this...well it's just wonderful, Thank you all so much. By the way, its a pity and too late now but in the acknowledgement to the beta testers you spelled Mark's name incorrectly. It's Mark Abdey - Redline to all of us!

The other thing is, I've found that with the wing floats down and average to low throttle I can steer quite adequately using the twist grip on my joystick. I agree, trying to do it the 'correct?' way using the left and right engines is a pain. However, it can be done but you need to be a bit of a contortionist. Depending on the direction you wish to turn one engine throttle needs to be opened at the same time as the other is closed. Like it's done on some boats.

John

Where is the uninstaller for the version 1.0 of the Goose? I installed version 1.20 thinking it would install over the v1.0, now I have three

versions of the goose, the one that came with FSX the version 1.0 and now...version 1.20. Is there a way for your version 1.0 to go away and

keep the update 1.20? thanks in advance......

If anyone is interested for better manoeuvering capability in the water ie unrealistic water rudder

In the aircraft.cfg, contact points area, change point 9 to read

point.9 = 5, -17.5, 0.0, -3.1, 0, 0, 0.0, 75, 0.00, 0.0, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 2, 0, 0

Where is the uninstaller for the version 1.0 of the Goose? I installed version 1.20 thinking it would install over the v1.0, now I have three

versions of the goose, the one that came with FSX the version 1.0 and now...version 1.20. Is there a way for your version 1.0 to go away and

keep the update 1.20? thanks in advance......

There is no uninstaller, if you want the default Goose back as it was please message me and I will send you a link

Done that. Thanks Jae Kae. Should make life a little easier.

I thought with the two throttles on my new joystick and using the twist grip it would be a piece of cake but it wasn't really so this has come as a nice surprise.

Thanks again.

John

I have to say this is one great flying plane. Thank you so much for investing your time and talents to bring this to the flight sim community. Your paints are just great and I'm wondering if there is a paint kit available that we can use to paint or VA colors and such.

Cheers,

The Grumman Goose is one of my favourite aeroplanes in FSX. Can literally go anywhere in it. Yet I've only just discovered this add-on beauty. What a great job!

And to think that I've been plowing around Australia in the old Goose when I could have been doing it in style with this baby. Now I'll have to start my trip all over again. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I am having a problem with the latest version of the Goose. I tried it for the first time last night and noticed that the landing/taxi lights could not be turned off without turning off the rest of the external lighting. The only light that works is the rotating beacon. I have tried using keyboard commands as well as the switches in the cockpit but cannot just turn off the landing lights. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I know this is coming in a little late, but it's getting on my nerves now. The Goose acts like a plastic toy when sitting in the water. The wind whips it around and on take-off it veers away from any line you try when there's a cross wind. The question is are my realism settings too high? Is there a way to change this in the .air file? It's a heavy aircraft, so I'd expect quite a bit less spin in the water.