Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Christian D.

Acceleration Addons

Hi Guys,

I have been FSX: Professionel Edition for a few years and have been adding payware addons since then. Now I would like to switch to the Gold Edition, as some helicopters, which I would like to have, only work with an Acceleration Pack and the Gold Edition contains the Acceleration Pack. My question is, can I use the other addons (PMDG 747 QOTS II, Aerosoft A320 / A321, Aerosoft Bell Huey X) equally on the Gold Edition because the requirements are not the Gold Edition, although the Gold Edition actually should include the smaller versions of the FSX and the Acceleration-Pack. I have the Service Pack 1 and 2 already installed and maybe you know another soluton without spending so much money because the Acceleration-Pack is very expensive. I also heard that the Steam Edition already includes the Acceleration-Pack. I am very confused and I hope some of you can help me.

Thanks in advance

Christian

Hi,

FSX Steam Edition does indeed include the Acceleration Pack, and some other improvements also.  I would recommend the Steam Version over the boxed version.  Everything is already built in to the base version of FSX Steam Edition.

As for the boxed version, if you decided to install Acceleration as an addon over your existing FSX installation, then anything that worked before (ie with SP 1 and 2) will also work with the Acceleration addon.

I hope this answers your questions.

BTW, FSX Steam Edition is currently on sale at the Steam Store for $9.99 USD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

I should also note that it is possible to install FSX Steam so that programs see it as the boxed edition.  This is sometimes necessary just for ease of use with installation of addons.  This requires uninstalling FSX boxed edition, and then removing all Windows Registry entries.  Then when you install FSX Steam, it will be seen as a stand alone installation of FSX.  There is a lot of info on how to go about this online if you have any trouble.  Or feel free to ask back here.

Cheers,

On 31.12.2017 at 5:15 PM, scottharmes6 said:

Hi,

FSX Steam Edition does indeed include the Acceleration Pack, and some other improvements also.  I would recommend the Steam Version over the boxed version.  Everything is already built in to the base version of FSX Steam Edition.

As for the boxed version, if you decided to install Acceleration as an addon over your existing FSX installation, then anything that worked before (ie with SP 1 and 2) will also work with the Acceleration addon.

I hope this answers your questions.

BTW, FSX Steam Edition is currently on sale at the Steam Store for $9.99 USD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

I should also note that it is possible to install FSX Steam so that programs see it as the boxed edition.  This is sometimes necessary just for ease of use with installation of addons.  This requires uninstalling FSX boxed edition, and then removing all Windows Registry entries.  Then when you install FSX Steam, it will be seen as a stand alone installation of FSX.  There is a lot of info on how to go about this online if you have any trouble.  Or feel free to ask back here.

Cheers,

Thank you very much for the fast and extended answer. So with the Steam Version all Addons, including the Addons for the Acceleration Pack should work correctly. But why some companys are selling the Acceleration Pack for more the 150 €, if it is content of the Steam Version which is extremely cheap? However I think I am going to buy the Steam Version.

Best wishes

Christian

21 hours ago, Christian D. said:

Thank you very much for the fast and extended answer. So with the Steam Version all Addons, including the Addons for the Acceleration Pack should work correctly. But why some companys are selling the Acceleration Pack for more the 150 €, if it is content of the Steam Version which is extremely cheap? However I think I am going to buy the Steam Version.

Best wishes

Christian

Yes, ever since Microsoft stopped selling boxed versions of FSX, the price of FSX boxed sky rocketed.  It is just supply and demand.  Some people just still prefer boxed products, and when they stopped distributing them, the price of the ones left over went sky high .

As I said above, if you install FSX Steam as a standalone install, then your PC and any addon installers will treat it exactly as if it was FSX Boxed.  The only difference really between a standalone install and a dual install, is that your folders in Program Data and AppData/Roaming/Microsoft will be called FSX-SE instead of just FSX.  Even if this happens, it just means you may need to manually alter some files to get some addons to work.  The easiest way is if you totally uninstall FSX boxed first, remove ALL registry entries for FSX, and then install FSX Steam.

Cheers,

On 2.1.2018 at 3:47 PM, scottharmes6 said:

Yes, ever since Microsoft stopped selling boxed versions of FSX, the price of FSX boxed sky rocketed.  It is just supply and demand.  Some people just still prefer boxed products, and when they stopped distributing them, the price of the ones left over went sky high .

As I said above, if you install FSX Steam as a standalone install, then your PC and any addon installers will treat it exactly as if it was FSX Boxed.  The only difference really between a standalone install and a dual install, is that your folders in Program Data and AppData/Roaming/Microsoft will be called FSX-SE instead of just FSX.  Even if this happens, it just means you may need to manually alter some files to get some addons to work.  The easiest way is if you totally uninstall FSX boxed first, remove ALL registry entries for FSX, and then install FSX Steam.

Cheers,

Ok, Thanks a lot. Two more questions:

1. Are you really sure, that all addons which I actually have will work correctly like before and also these which require the Acceleration Pack?

2. Which Windows Registries will I have to delete exactly?

Thank you in advance

Chris

HI,

Pretty sure, yes.

Each installation is different, so the best way is to keep searching for FSX registry entries, and deleting them as you find them.  This is of course, after you have gone through the normal uninstall process.

I would suggest backing up your registry as the first step (after uninstalling FSX as normal).

Open regedit ( go to Windows start and type regedit in the search box).  Make sure you run as administrator.  When Registry Editor opens click on "Computer" so it is highlighted.  Then click on "File" tab, click on "Export".  Save the file as  "Registry_Before_FSX_Uninstall" or something similar.  This is your backup.

There is a registry tool for FSX available here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

and here:

https://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

You can use these tools to search for FSX registry entries, and then delete those entries.  Note that even after these tools can't find anymore, there still MAY be some registry entries for FSX in different locations.

To remove them all, open regedit ( go to Windows start and type regedit in the search box).  Remember to back up your registry before deleting any files.

Click on "Edit" tab and click on "Find..."

In the box that pops up type in FSX

Search through the registry by clicking on "Find Next"

Work your way through and delete any left over FSX registry entries.

If you want more info before you start there are lots of posts at Avsim and Flightsim.com regarding this process.  Just search their forums.

Cheers,

On 7.1.2018 at 7:54 AM, scottharmes6 said:

HI,

Pretty sure, yes.

Each installation is different, so the best way is to keep searching for FSX registry entries, and deleting them as you find them.  This is of course, after you have gone through the normal uninstall process.

I would suggest backing up your registry as the first step (after uninstalling FSX as normal).

Open regedit ( go to Windows start and type regedit in the search box).  Make sure you run as administrator.  When Registry Editor opens click on "Computer" so it is highlighted.  Then click on "File" tab, click on "Export".  Save the file as  "Registry_Before_FSX_Uninstall" or something similar.  This is your backup.

There is a registry tool for FSX available here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

and here:

https://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

You can use these tools to search for FSX registry entries, and then delete those entries.  Note that even after these tools can't find anymore, there still MAY be some registry entries for FSX in different locations.

To remove them all, open regedit ( go to Windows start and type regedit in the search box).  Remember to back up your registry before deleting any files.

Click on "Edit" tab and click on "Find..."

In the box that pops up type in FSX

Search through the registry by clicking on "Find Next"

Work your way through and delete any left over FSX registry entries.

If you want more info before you start there are lots of posts at Avsim and Flightsim.com regarding this process.  Just search their forums.

Cheers,

Hi, thanks again for the answer.

When do you need this Registry Entries because I never heard of them?

However when this question is clear I wont nerve you anymore.     : )

Christian

The registry entries tell add ons where FSX is. They are necessary for any installation of an add on, whether scenery or airplane. When the simulator is installed on the computer registry entries are made. Some add ons will not see an FSX Steam entry, so yo use the Tweal FS registry tool to add an entry for FSX, pointing to your Steam FSX install.

Sue

As Sue says :smile:.

The Windows registry stores all sorts of information for pretty much anything installed on your PC.

Care must be taken with it, as if you delete something you should not it could have unexpected results and mess up your system.  That being said, it is safe to delete entries for a program such as FSX, as a new installation will restore any registry entries, and there are also tools available (as linked above) which will actually create the correct FSX registry entries.

If you have not heard of registry entries, then you probably have not used a tool called "CCleaner".  This comes in a free version and it can check your registry for any errors and repair them very easily.  Just a side note.

Cheers,

20 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

The Windows registry stores all sorts of information for pretty much anything installed on your PC.

Care must be taken with it, as if you delete something you should not it could have unexpected results and mess up your system.  That being said, it is safe to delete entries for a program such as FSX, as a new installation will restore any registry entries, and there are also tools available (as linked above) which will actually create the correct FSX registry entries.

If you have not heard of registry entries, then you probably have not used a tool called "CCleaner".  This comes in a free version and it can check your registry for any errors and repair them very easily.  Just a side note.

Cheers,

CCleaner is a great program. Not only cleaning out rubbish & checking registry entries, but several other very useful 'Toolbox' functions as well. Like turning off/deleting unwanted startup items. ^_^

Thanks for the explaination. So I will: 1. backup my Windows Registries of the whole Computer.

2. delete all Win Registries of the FSX.

3. install FSX Steam Version, the previous and the new (for the Acceleration Pack) Addons.

(4.) and IF there is a problem I will use one of these programs to repair these Win Registries.

Is that right ???

Christian

On 10.1.2018 at 7:08 AM, scottharmes6 said:

Cheers,

Thanks for the explaination. So I will: 1. backup my Windows Registries of the whole Computer.

3. install FSX Steam Version, the previous and the new (for the Acceleration Pack) Addons.

(4.) and IF there is a problem I will use one of these programs to repair these Win Registries.

Is that right ???

Christian

On 11.1.2018 at 3:40 AM, nbrettoner said:

CCleaner is a great program. Not only cleaning out rubbish & checking registry entries, but several other very useful 'Toolbox' functions as well. Like turning off/deleting unwanted startup items. ^_^

Is that right ???

Christian

7 hours ago, Christian D. said:

Is that right ???

Christian

Hi Christian D,

I'd have a look on any Steam forums, to see if there's an 'official' way of deleting/reinstalling, before doing anything else.
What CCleaner can do after you uninstall your current install (if that's the 'official' way of doing things), is clean up the leftovers in the registry.
You may be able to reinstall Steam straight over the top of the existing (I don't have Steam version so not sure at all). See if you can check out any 'Steam' forums. Maybe do a google search?. ^_^