A quick question about TIF mask files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wirraway

Wirraway
  • Topic Starter
  • OZx Painters
  • 316 posts
  • Location:Well, they call it the capital of Australia ... but I'm not so sure.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

I use Gimp for my graphics work rather than Photoshop which introduces a few little differences for me when I work through the tutorial. Most I have been able to nut my way through but the mask files cause me a little confusion.

If I save the TIFs as per the tutorial I have only the 'W' or 'B' layer visible (so not the background _su layer) and select "merge visible layers" as I save. This gives me TIF files with the area I masked in the water colour in the water mask and black in the blend mask, and the rest transparent (light & dark grey squares in Gimp the same as in Photoshop if my ageing memory is right). Should those areas be white as per the turorial pictures or transparent? Should I add a visible pure white layer under my mask layer?
cheers,
John.

Posted Image

#2 markwlee

markwlee
  • OZx Lead Developer
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Bicycles, Airplanes and _ _ _ (how many letters in FOOD?)

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

I use Gimp for my graphics work rather than Photoshop which introduces a few little differences for me when I work through the tutorial. Most I have been able to nut my way through but the mask files cause me a little confusion.

If I save the TIFs as per the tutorial I have only the 'W' or 'B' layer visible (so not the background _su layer) and select "merge visible layers" as I save. This gives me TIF files with the area I masked in the water colour in the water mask and black in the blend mask, and the rest transparent (light & dark grey squares in Gimp the same as in Photoshop if my ageing memory is right). Should those areas be white as per the turorial pictures or transparent? Should I add a visible pure white layer under my mask layer?

The transparent areas should be made pure white 255,255,255
Sometimes your water areas need to be darkened to do their job, too.
Posted Image Regards, Mark
OZx_AUS/NA Ant's All 3032 5862 10958 18583 PNW YMML YWVA YJKT YSCH YPEC YCNK YSTW YHBA 3W5 WA56 [email protected]/2gBCorsairDDR2/Raid0/ATI4890OC/22"Samsung/Antec900w650W/SaitekYokeQuad/CHpedalsFighterstickQuad/TIR4/XFi/THX5500

#3 Wirraway

Wirraway
  • Topic Starter
  • OZx Painters
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Thanks. That's what expected would be the case.
cheers,
John.

Posted Image

#4 Suburpy

Suburpy
  • Registered
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Go the Crows

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hey mate I use GIMP for all my stuff too. To get a tif file I use the path tool and select my outline then use the layer menu, add layer masl, from selection. This will add a layer with the mask, then select the image menu and flatten image this should leave the previosuly grey and white check bit a single colour usually white or black you can bucket fill as appropriate. Then i invert the selection and add a layer mask for the remainder and then again flatten image and fill with appropriate colour - might be other better ways but works 4 me
Posted Image

#5 Wirraway

Wirraway
  • Topic Starter
  • OZx Painters
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:47 PM

Problem solved!

I just created a new transparent layer then did the lasso selection of my blend area, inverted it and filled with black (making sure the new layer was selected in the layer dialog). Then I created a 2nd white layer, placed it behind the mask layer and flattened. That did the job nicely!
cheers,
John.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_hcornea_*

Guest_hcornea_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

Yep Wirraway, I think that's the best way to do it.

When using the polygonal lasso tool, if you're applying a feather to soften the edges - do it BEFORE you invert the selection.
Otherwise you may get breakthrough around the edge of your tile (which you probably won't notice until you test the compiled BGL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users