Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Andrew Hunter-Graham

Flinders Island (YFLI) for FSX and P3D

Firstly I'm not 100% sure where to put this so that it gets the maximum viewing and reach but here seemed a good start.

I just wanted to share these two links below to a developers work.

I am so glad that I had a bit of a search on FS Developer! Firstly YPAD is a work in progress which is looking really nice but the greatest news is that there is finally a nicely modeled representation of Flinders Island Airport (YFLI)!!!!!!!!!!!

The development and community engagement + the current version of the product:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/yfli-flinders-island-airport.439396/

and the current release of the product:

http://fatcatscenery.com/

At the moment it is Default and ORBX Global FSX/P3D compatible, since engaging with the development forum it sounds like there is a chance of it being brought to FTX AU compatibility which will be great. Fingers crossed!

This scenery is well done! I only wonder which version to install? I have FTX Global Base, FTX VECTOR and FTX AU installed.

I decided for "YFLI_for_ORBX_AU.zip"

Dieter

Edited by Dieter

Hi Andrew,

Thankyou for reminding me to revisit FatCat's YFLI Flinders Island airport. There was a thread back in April this year announcing the very same.

In the early release there was a requirement to change the AutogenDescriptions.spb which if not done would prevent trees from displaying. I decided to give it another go and I'm quite pleased with the airfield, trees seem to show where they should, so a big thankyou to FatCat for his Freeware YFLI airport.
Like Dieter, I have installed the "YFLI_for_ORBX_AU.zip" version as I am using FTX AUSP4. The instructions no-longer require interfering with (AutogenDescriptions.spb). 
The only thing which is a minor negative, would be the transparency of the volumetric grass, it seems to be too transparent during daylight hours unless viewed from very low angle up close, giving the appearance of no grass at all (It needs more colour).  Reducing the transparency might give it some volume so to speak. So far the grass is not impacting performance so I have chosen not to switch it off, but it would be good to have it displaying as a 3D element from normal viewing distance/angle.
At night under aircraft landing/taxi lights the grass is displayed as a dark crosshatch overlaying the grass ground texture, though I think this is typical display of the 3D grass when intersected by light. If I have some time I might ask FatCat over at FSDev if this grass can be improved.

Here's a few sample shots of the grass transparency using FSX DeluxeGold AccPack / DX9 / A2A Redux 3D lights.

25009dc5195ff2baf66c432acd12c0e3.jpg

3b31dd2e0bd5500c9f16baa694f4f66b.jpg

7261a62bc200f9e93798bbea6bb9e903.jpg

0188705615d409889b920133ff09a884.jpg

6315d3e7e97d410051dc1c2d559bba04.jpg

2ab750b34efbb987fca24622279b2797.jpg

@Jethro-VH-JET Ahh I see, kind of had a feeling I wouldn't have been the first to post about it...

I noticed the grass also, when I view it close to the ground it is basically translucent, to the point where you can see the sky through buildings in the background if that makes any sense.

It is freeware so I feel bad pointing out different things but in the end if fixes are made it will be an even better piece of scenery and get people on board his work. In saying that, I believe he is still open to some development and improvement on this product. I was the one to mention making it compatible for FTX AU and he delivered pretty quickly. I will get back in touch with him and see if he can do anything.

Yes I agree Andrew, It is wonderful that a developer makes his efforts available as freeware while improving his techniques. And thankyou for asking FatCat about compatibility for FTX_AU (very welcome update which makes for an uncomplicated installation and overall nice looking airport scenery).
I am also not pointing out minute detail to be critical, but only as an observation for improvement to technique. I very much value the time and effort FatCat has put into this and hope to see his other airfields in the future. You only need to look at the work the OZx devs have put in over the years to see some really amazing stuff and in more recent times the efforts of guys like Rob (Flukey) and Craig Hanley to mention but 2, there are others here who contribute/collaborate so much for our freeware enjoyment. (I tips-me-lid (hat), to these generous creative guys).

Hi FatCat,

Thanks for your YFLI airfield, its a great little place nicely modelled, although in FSX the 3D grass seems a little transparent in daylight, and has black crosshatch effect with aircraft landing lights.

Can you tell me if the New Version with "new 3D grass, new season variation, dynamic lighting" for P3Dv4 is just for 64bit P3D, or is there a "New 3D grass season variation" version for us old 32bit FSX dinosaurs.

Hi FatCat,

Tolmachevo, that's cool, interesting runway layout, looks like it will blend pretty well with the highway and fields giving you a good PR to work with. I have not flown in Russia so looking forward to seeing how it comes together, it might give me incentive to fly there.

Mount Hotham has been done by OZx Anthony Lynch many moons ago, but it will be interesting to see your version. 
Ballarat looks very interesting, I don't think its been done by anyone yet, so that will be great, at least my Ballarat is still bland default.  

Edited by Jethro-VH-JET