Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Timmy74

Fresh Install of P3D v3....

Hello Chaps,

Long time no speak....sorry.  I have been having issues for ages (with both sims) and have been quietly trying to sort them out.  

However, the other day my 2TB hard drive that I had P3D on decided to fold all together!!!!   So off to the shop to get another 2TB HDD and go through the PAIN of a full re-install again! 
Before installing P3D I had un-installed any left over P3D files that happened to be still on my computer....so I thought!?!

Get this....  When I installed P3Dv3 onto my new HDD I was getting a bunch of "addon scenery" errors!? A message saying that "Scenery area XXX can not be found. Would you like to remove it?" This came up for EVERY addon scenery entry that i had on my old HDD!?!

Any idea why this would happen if the old HDD was totally removed from my computer and a new HDD was installed!?!

So confused....

Also I am now installing my ORBX stuff and it keeps asking me do i want to back up the original...!?!

Again, so confused!?!

Go into Control Panel and uninstall the P3D  modules there to get them out of the registry. Then go to c:\programdata\lockheed martin and delete that folder. When you run P3D it will rebuild the folder. That is where your scenery.cfg file is contained and is the cause of the scenery errors.

7 hours ago, Aussieman said:

Go into Control Panel and uninstall the P3D  modules there to get them out of the registry. Then go to c:\programdata\lockheed martin and delete that folder. When you run P3D it will rebuild the folder. That is where your scenery.cfg file is contained and is the cause of the scenery errors.

Thank you Pat. C:\programdata\lockheed martin.... file escaped my mind!! So many nooks and cranies! 

I'll go back and delete everything, and again re-install P3D so -fingers crossed- she works as she should. 

Cheers,

Tim.

hey mate, i just went thru the same, thing with a HD crash and a complete rebuild of windows and everything, its only taken me since oct last to get P3D running almost @ 80% again

its been one hellva of an adventure, so im going to say I hope you have better luck than me and good luck with it all

17 hours ago, jeansy said:

hey mate, i just went thru the same, thing with a HD crash and a complete rebuild of windows and everything, its only taken me since oct last to get P3D running almost @ 80% again

its been one hellva of an adventure, so im going to say I hope you have better luck than me and good luck with it all

Hi Matt, I am not going to enjoy this one bit!!!! I was soooo close to walking away from the whole thing! But I will chip away at it.

I have lost so much stuff, I did have a lot backed up, but some stuff -for reasons I have no idea- I did not. So I have sacrificed them to the computer gods! DOH!?!?!

If you downloaded it before, you can download it again.  Go back to where you got the plane, or the scenery, log in, and get it from your account. 90% of flight sim stores allow this. Very rarely is anything genuinely lost. It just takes time, and some account hunting.

Sue

51 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Very rarely is anything genuinely lost. It just takes time, and some account hunting.

Sue

Hum the song "If I Only Had Time" as you work ... here's some of the lyrics ...

So much to do
If I only had time, if I only had time
Dreams to pursue
If I only had time they'd be mine

Time like the wind
Those are hurrying by and the hours just fly
Where to begin
There are mountains I'd climb, if I'd time

Relax and enjoy mate
Cheers
Alan

7 hours ago, Timmy74 said:

Hi Matt, I am not going to enjoy this one bit!!!! I was soooo close to walking away from the whole thing! But I will chip away at it.

I have lost so much stuff, I did have a lot backed up, but some stuff -for reasons I have no idea- I did not. So I have sacrificed them to the computer gods! DOH!?!?!

I shouldve done that however during this process,some how my old keyboard broke in half, and my monitor's screen cracked on impact with something and i somehow needed 4 stitches

its frustrating to say the least, i have to thank the wife because she brought the PC back inside while i getting my shotgun and sternly reminded of what would happen if i popped off a few rds in the backyard

mate i had some great dummy spits during the process

5 minutes ago, jeansy said:

I shouldve done that however during this process,some how my old keyboard broke in half, and my monitor's screen cracked on impact with something and i somehow needed 4 stitches

its frustrating to say the least, i have to thank the wife because she brought the PC back inside while i getting my shotgun and sternly reminded of what would happen if i popped off a few rds in the backyard

mate i had some great dummy spits during the process

Holy cow, I've told mine  " I built you, I can kill you"  but I've never needed stitches !   Wow, I guess I have mellowed with age.  Maybe it's a good thing my shotgun lives 4 states away.  Perhaps my temper has improved, I've never tried to shoot a computer.  BLEEP!  Maybe even Holy Sh*t, Matt, and I'm Irish...( you know, "is this a private fight, or can anyone join ? Irish...)

LOL

Sue

garfield_boot_your_computer_slogan_wallpaper_-_1024x768.jpg

What an entertaining thread.  Thank you guys and gals...you're brilliant.

But I do sympathise and admire your tenacity.  I think I'd have just packed it all in and read my Paperwhite more.

John

Guys, it might be worth investing in a ghosting software and a 2nd or 3rd drive the same size or twice or 3 times ( I have 3 times)  as your FS install. Before installing anything run a ghost then if something goes wrong you can just ghost the best install from the ghostdrive. in 10 years I have never had to do a reinstall from scratch 

Oh yeah.  Back ups pay for themselves. What would you recommend for ghosting ?   I have EaseUs Todo Back up.

LOL

Sue

Edited by Penzoil3

12 hours ago, JayKae said:

Guys, it might be worth investing in a ghosting software and a 2nd or 3rd drive the same size or twice or 3 times ( I have 3 times)  as your FS install. Before installing anything run a ghost then if something goes wrong you can just ghost the best install from the ghostdrive. in 10 years I have never had to do a reinstall from scratch 

I will most definitely do that JaeKay.  I have FSX on a external HDD but this time I will put P3D on one too when she is all reinstalled. Because the last P3D install was so young, I thought I would have some time to add a few more things before doing a whole back up....  I love having egg on my face!!!

"Live and Learn" some wise person said.... Maybe they were a simmer too....!?! 

Way back when (1987) my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 2600, with cassette tape backup.  I was typing in a game called Oregon Trail. I had over a thousand lines done, and 250 to go.  My cats ran over the extension cord and unplugged the computer.  I learned about backing up my work. Never did install that game...

LOL

Sue