Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

JayKae

New Search

New Search   104 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Do you like the new search function ?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just letting you know I have added a new, much easier, much more comprehensive search to the site, accessible on every page, floating with your scroll in the right hand bottom:

jChFPos.png

At the moment it is still indexing the site, this index process should be done in 72 hours or so, after that, you should be able to get much better results from it than from the inbuilt IPB search

Any feedback is welcome as long as it is not about the position of the box, as it cannot be changed ;)

The search is not set in stone so I am adding a poll to this topic so I can determine whether or not to keep it yes or no

Ta Jay  I'll give it a try after 3days to see if it is indeed better by comparison. Might do a search using both then vote.

I tried it with a few different search terms, but it gave me all kinds of non-relevant results..and not what I was looking for, so I'm not overly impressed

"At the moment it is still indexing the site, this index process should be done in 72 hours or so, after that, you should be able to get much better results from it than from the inbuilt IPB search"

Maybe try again in 24 hours?  

Yes, @jankees it is not done yet but can you tell me what you searched for so I can look into it (it is HIGHLY customisable ^_^ )

@Bruce e Thanks mate !

I don't remember everything I tried exactly, but I just imagined I was looking for repaints for a certain model. 

One I tried was 'Grumman Duck', suppose you want to find this repaint: 

it clearly says Grumman Duck in the description, but if I type in Grumman Duck in either one of the search functions, only the old search function, in the top right of the page will get me in the right direction..

Try and find any of my paints for the Alabeo Staggerwing for example. The old function will do it, the new one will not....yet?

8 hours ago, jankees said:

I don't remember everything I tried exactly, but I just imagined I was looking for repaints for a certain model. 

One I tried was 'Grumman Duck', suppose you want to find this repaint: 

it clearly says Grumman Duck in the description, but if I type in Grumman Duck in either one of the search functions, only the old search function, in the top right of the page will get me in the right direction..

Try and find any of my paints for the Alabeo Staggerwing for example. The old function will do it, the new one will not....yet?

Ok, I will check some settings tonight, thanks for the feedback jankees

Posted (edited)

Hi Jay,

Ok so its Friday after 5 days of indexing, I though I would give the new search tool a comparative check.  I'm of the same view as Jankees, I don't think the new web search function is delivering more comprehensive results. I know it is unfair to prejudge on the basis of one search, and I will continue to compare both where time permits. Maybe it is just a case of more testing with different search terms to produce better results. In an effort to be constructive this may just need some tweaking to allow the service to produce a more comprehensive result. (I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater on the basis of one result, assuming you most likely have some powder and fresh PJ's for the little tyke before putting the results of the bathing baby to bed). ha ha:P:smile:      vote undecided either way

My first search using both search functions was for an ICAO YAMK (as I am trying to sort out an issue that has recently surfaced with this default airfield and how it fits with FTX Australia and or OZx, it is neither OZx or Orbx though it is not sitting on the correct terrain or LClass) per the ongoing topic at Orbx.

I opened a browser tab for each search, typed YAMK into the IPS search OZx forum home page tab, 2 results were retrieved. Then typed YAMK into the "website Search" OZx forum home page tab, where only 1 result was retrieved. While neither search produced anything useful with regard to my issue "as I though it might not" it revealed that the results were not in favour of the new web search. 
This ICAO search was not overly obscure, but if both search functions were comparable then the new one should have at least brought the same if not better results if indeed there was more to info on the subject text.

One other thing I've noticed is that there is no "Advanced Search"  function in the new web search, whereas the IPS search has this function.

Edited by Jethro-VH-JET

Hmmmm ok thank you Jethro I will have a look over the weekend