Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

scottharmes6

France Photoreal scenery

Scott,

What LOD did you use for the MESH? In mountanous areas all mountains are rather rounded, although in other sceneries (like France VFR) they show sharp edges. For having a better LOD do you know of a total MESH for France? 

In flat parts of France it does not matter.

Hoping to hear from you,

reg.,

Piet de Geus

Hi Piet,

I didn't include any mesh with the PR, it is Terrain surface texture only, so it will just "drape" over any existing mesh you have installed.

I actually use a freeware mesh for the Alps which is pretty good.

The file is called:

MeshAlpes.zip

http://www.systranet.com/turl/?systranbanner=1&systrangui=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.systran.fr%3B%2Fsnetcom%2Fweb&systranuid=aHR0cC13d3cudmYtYWlyLmNvbS9GU1gyLmh0bS9mcl9lbg%3D%3D

Look for:

MESH for the scenes vf-air. 

Which is just below the two maps at the top of the page.

Or there are a couple of direct links to it on this page:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/356359-excluding-autogen-with-ade-for-fsx/page-3

There is some more info on mesh for France on these pages.

http://www.vf-air.com/

http://www.systranet.com/turl/?systranbanner=1&systrangui=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.systran.fr%3B%2Fsnetcom%2Fweb&systranuid=aHR0cC13d3cudmYtYWlyLmNvbS9tZXNoLmh0bS9mcl9lbg%3D%3D

Also, don't forget to set your mesh resolution to a higher LOD (eg. 1m) to see more detail.  Even with default FSX mesh, you will see much more definition if you set the mesh resolution to a higher LOD.  Just beware setting it too high will affect performance and texture loading etc,which may result in blurries.  I find the 5m setting to be good for detail with not too much effect on performance.

Cheers,

Scott,

Thanks for all the info, it will take some time to read and study the advantages and disadvantages of the several solutions. 

reg.,

Piet

Hi,

The bgl files need to go in a scenery folder.  There is a scenery folder in the existing Addon Scenery folder in the main FSX folder, so technically you could put the bgl files straight in there.  This folder is already activated in the Scenery.cfg.

It is recommended for most manually added scenery that you create a separate folder.  This way it is easier to enable or disable entries in your FSX or P3D scenery library.  For France PR I have 9 folders.  To do the same, create 9 folders and call them "France_PR_Vol1", "France_PR_Vol2" etc up to "France_PR_Vol9".  In each of these folders, create a new folder and name it "Scenery".  Now you can evenly spread all of the bgl files for France PR amongst these volumes.  Place the bgl files in the scenery folders.  For example place all the bgl files starting with France1S, France2S, France3S, France4S, France5S in the France_PR_Vol1/Scenery folder.  Place all the files starting with France1, France1b, France1N, France2N, France3N in the France_PR_Vol2/Scenery folder.

It is possible to create just one folder called France_PR and add just one scenery folder, and then put all bgls in this one folder, but for a scenery so large it is probably better to split it in to different volumes, to help with loading times and even to enable or disable part of the scenery if you want to.

You can place these folders you create anywhere on your PC, you just need to tell the FSX or P3D library where they are by using the Scenery library in the FSX settings or by adding the entries by manually editing the Scenery.cfg file.

You can also add the afcad files to any of these scenery folders you create. It doesn't matter if they are in the same folders as the photo scenery.

Cheers,

Hi David,

To download all of France you would pretty much need to download all parts.  There are parts of the scenery that extend in to Switzerland and Germany and Spain, but these parts also contain part of the France PR.  In other words it hasn't been separated in to countries, but just rows from South to North, with the Part 1 sections covering the West and the Part 2 sections covering the East.

Cheers,

David, I suppose your question is based on the presence of scenery-addons of surrounding countries. In my opinion when you install all of France Photoscenery with a lower priority than those of the surrounding countries the scenery of the surrounding countries will overwrite the French part, assuming that borders are correctly implemeted. If I am wrong, please say so.

reg.,

Piet de Geus

Hi de Geus exact, I have Italy Photoreal -  Switzerland ProX, the problem to be just that .... the risk is that I download everything and then find out the problem, this being the reason why I ask if it be possible to download only France .

Edited by florence

6 hours ago, florence said:

Hi de Geus exact, I have Italy Photoreal -  Switzerland ProX, the problem to be just that .... the risk is that I download everything and then find out the problem, this being the reason why I ask if it be possible to download only France .

Hi David,

As Piet says it is just a matter of placing any other PR above the France PR in the Scenery.cfg and it will override it at the border of the overriding scenery.  You can also disable any bgls (delete or turn off) in the France PR if they are not required as they are covered by another scenery.

Cheers, 

On 6/28/2016 at 2:41 PM, scottharmes6 said:

The way information is disseminated in these websites is really very confusing. I have tried a lot but I still am unable to findout a simple and easy way to add autogen (houses, trees etc.) to this excellent Photoscenery of France ? Is there any single product having installer with .exe file to do so ?

Edited by rao579

Hi,

Try following this link:

http://www.f-bmpl.com/index.php/france-scenes-vfr

This will take you to a screen with a map of France split in to regions.  Clicking on the different regions of the map will take you to a page with all the freeware for that region of France.  The freeware on these pages is then prefixed by a title such as [AUTOGEN].

Click again on the link(s) with [AUTOGEN] in the name, and you will be taken to the page with the autogen installer(s) for that region.  There should be a link on the page to download the autogen for that region.

There are also airports and VFR packs with more 3D models to be downloaded on each region's index page, so I would suggest just picking one region at a time and working through which downloads you want.  These files are nearly always being updated or added to also.

Cheers,

Scott,

What a fantastic list of add-ons for France. Fortunately I can read French, but many of my sim-friend can not. It is very difficult then for them to use those files, even understand what they do, what the prerequiites are etc.

Would it be possible for you to ask your French collegues if they can produce some kind of translation in English?

Yust for prove of the quality of the add-ons: two screenshots attached: Caen and Belly Peyrieu. 

reg.,

Piet de Geus

Prepar3D 2016-10-03 20-36-02-540.jpg

Prepar3D 2016-10-03 20-28-18-021.jpg

Hey Piet,

Not to dismiss your thoughts, but I think it is doable to navigate these pages even when not knowing French.  I have had to stumble through myself, but most files/downloads are fairly obvious once you start searching.  There is also google translate which can translate entire pages with the click of a button.  I have been able to get through most pages by just learning one word:  Télécharger, which means download in French.

Besides, by navigating these pages, maybe users can pick up a bit of French along the way, which can't be a bad thing.

Nice pics too ;).

Cheers,

Scott,

I agree with you, but my reaction was based on some remarks I had from collegues when I pointed them to French websites.

reg.,

Piet

Hi Scott

In that scenery every piece of water - even the smallest Lake - are transparent. How to you manage that? You made this all by hand, or it's a automatism?

Hi Martin,

With the help of some people at FS Developer, I discovered that you can utilise a technique which uses shapefile data, in my case France waterways and coastlines shapefiles, along with QGIS ( a free GIS program) and GIMP, to greatly speed up the creation of watermasks.  It is using a GDAL tool, which is a part of QGIS, called "rasterize".  Basically you can "burn" the shapefile data on to a geotiff image; so I started with blank (white) geotiff and then used the Rasterize tool/command to burn the shapefile water data for each tile of the PR.  Then using GIMP I made this image in to the water mask for each tile. Then it was just a matter of running the watermask and the original image through the FSX resample tool to create the BGL.

Although this technique started off fairly accurately, which is why I continued using it, there are a lot of places where the accuracy is not so great, and there are even sections of rivers etc missing.  I have gone over several watermasks and fixed them up by hand, but as you can imagine this is very time consuming.  Originally I was only going to watermask the coastlines, but this led to a problem of blending rivers where they meet the ocean, so because of the semi-automated process I decided to create watermasks for all areas.  I still plan on going over many areas by hand and fixing them up, as every time I fly over it I find another problem of misaligned or missing water.  Basically it looks OK from a distance, but does not stand up to close scrutiny, which I am somewhat satisfied with, as the original plan was to do a "rough and ready" version of France PR for my own use, and not to make a perfect scenery.

For some more information on the GDAL Rasterize tool, see the following link to the topic I started at FS Developer:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/watermask-from-shapefile.433999/

Cheers,

Thanks a lot Scott for your information.

I see, there are still a lot to do. By that time, I expand the France Scenery eastward to germany south and southwest.

Okay, let's see how it works. ^_^