Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

VGxT4CT1CZz

Lotus Simulator By Marcel and Janine: Progress and development

Question

97 answers to this question

I wonder what will be the same/similar to OMSI and what will be different or new. I am keen to find out how well it performs on lower end systems, with 64-bit capability more RAM can be used which should boost performance.

Ow!! That came out of nowhere. I mean, after all that happened, with Rudiger leaving the project, Janine taking many responsabilities were for sure signs of something, but I'm still surprised.

That explains why Omsi 2 was "abandoned". Anyway, still processing if this is a good or bad thing.

What a wonderful surprise!

Bookmarked their Facebook page and looking forward to more news about their exciting project.

Edited by Zulnex
Grammar

Considering their experience with OMSI 2, I'm sure the bus simulation aspect of the game will top notch, I just hope they don't ignore OMSI when they're developing it.

Well, that was unexpected! Hopefully making user content for this is just as simple as for OMSI - or even better, this is compatible with content made for OMSI. It's a shame to drop the OMSI name, as it's become so familiar - but I'm sure there's a reason behind it - I wonder what it stands for?

I'll be keeping tabs on this in the future. As others have said, what I'm mostly hoping for is better graphics and optimisation. They say they're using their own new engine, so the driving physics should be familiar which can only be a good thing, and it also means that there is scope to allow use of older assets. However, all they say is that "You can use Blender again" in X3D format, so I'd suggest that the compatibility isn't there - and if the objects aren't compatible, neither are the maps.

Other highlights from their comments:

• 64bit (no more RAM hacks!)
  • Proper BETA testing ("And you will hopefully help")
  • They appear to be looking for community help to develop release assets

I'm going to sit on the fence until I see more pictures and information - I suspect that this is going to mean that the British OMSI community is about to have to start from scratch, just when we were picking up some speed! I also get the feeling that a lot of projects are going to be postponed until we see release dates and compatibility details. Farthington will certainly be shelved for the time being (though that doesn't change much in the immediate term as I just don't have time for it right now).

Anyway, all that aside - taken as an independent project, this sounds like the simulator I've been dreaming of for years!

Edited by whistlehead

It's probably gonna be a while until it's out, honestly I reckon they've only just started development in the last month or so, so OMSI is gonna be around for a while yet. I've always wanted to develop maps for OMSI, but the horrible limitations of what you can actually do without making it unplayable on anything but routere's computer kind of put me off. But if they can get it right 3rd time, then this should be interesting indeed.

This is great news. But for me this is not a surprise. It has been clear to me for some time now, that at some point OMSI would evolve into a full blown transport/transit simulator. However, I will admit that I wasn't expecting it so soon. But the fact that the S-bahn and U-bahn trains in OMSI 2 are player drivable is indication that this development was imminent. Now, I'm wondering, like Whistlehead, if the name "LOTUS" is an acronym (like "OMSI" represented "Omnibus Simulator"). For starters, the T could be transport or transit, the U could be U-bahn, and S could be S-bahn. Or the U and S could be universal simulator.

Edited by relay

I share Jokervation and whistlehead's neutral feelings about this. While it is perfectly possible that it will be a rebuilt Omsi with a better graphics engine and better physics (and so on) - it is equally likely that the 'atmosphere' is destroyed and they fall into many classic developer traps which ruin simulators. I think it is great that there are people willing to develop a game for our very niche market - but I'm waiting to see how this plays out.

What I REALLY don't want is an Astragon clone. Bus & Cable Car Simulator is by far one of the worst games I've ever played.

What I REALLY don't want is an Astragon clone. Bus & Cable Car Simulator is by far one of the worst games I've ever played.

Not gonna happen, Astragon have copyright on god-awful simulators

Edited by joe_alker

This is great news. But for me this is not a surprise. It has been clear to me for some time now, that at some point OMSI would evolve into a full blown transport/transit simulator. However, I will admit that I wasn't expecting it so soon. But the fact that the S-bahn and U-bahn trains in OMSI 2 are player drivable is indication that this development was imminent. Now, I'm wondering, like Whistlehead, if the name "LOTUS" is an acronym (like "OMSI" represented "Omnibus Simulator"). For starters, the T could be transport or transit, the U could be U-bahn, and S could be S-bahn. Or the U and S could be universal simulator.

I agree mate, it is not a surprise for me also. Unfortunately it's quite strange for me to accept the new name; maybe I really like the way 'OMSI' sounds!

I am usually skeptical when big projects like this are brought to light. However, it seems to be quite feasible. In fact, OMSI structure already allowed for many rough experimentations with trams and S-Bahns. OMSI already benefits of being a timetable-based simulation platform, as well as allowing for the parametrization of various settings related to passenger density and the like. In that sense, I would argue that some of the hard work is already done (note that I am not considering aspects such as 64-bit support or "endless maps"). The announcement of a new simulator leads me to believe that they have already managed to achieve solid gains on performance and stability.

Even if LOTUS becomes a supreme failure, I doubt they would transform OMSI into an arcade experience. That was one of their main oppositions (and one of the motivations for developing OMSI) in a time when most - if not all - bus simulator games were still very arcadish to today's standards.

I hope it grows to something bigger, better and even more serious. That would be the ultimate gift to bus simmers during these last two decades.

All in all, I am still skeptical, but with some desirable optimism.

Edited by Thiago

Very interesting, and now Julian's cryptic recent comments about his tram models that has been a wip for years suddenly make sense. He was saying that his trams could end up in another program instead of Omsi, as they'd easy to import. Hmmm, launch items for LOTUS now?

I'm very pleased to see they're continuing to develop though. Just hope the new engine works though, shame there's nothing they can use that's 'off the shelf'.

I get the feeling a very Sydney form of transport may not be part of the new project :lol:

Although I have had a bus bounce around before ;)

That would be pretty cool, actually :) It could be a fairly simple thing to include - model the water as a flat surface and have the boat constantly bouncing gently (perhaps in some way proportional to distance from the shore?), and then you could probably just mangle the bus physics to work with it. I would imagine that in programming terms it wouldn't be too different to driving a bus on the ice.

I suspect that with the attention to detail Marcel+Janine pay that they wouldn't accept that as a solution, though, and would insist on trying to model the effect of the flow of the water on the boat, which leads to a whole different issue...

News from the Omsi forum:
  • OMSI will be cared of and patched beyond that year.
  • The betatesting before a patch release will continue.
  • It's not worth to discontinue the work on OMSI projects, since LOTUS will not be released in the next year!
  • The only platform we use for talking about LOTUS is currently Facebook.
  • The LOTUS-forum is not going to be revealed in the near future. The OMSI forum will persist in its current shape and is not going to be our platform to talk about LOTUS or make announcements about LOTUS.

Well, so 2017? 2 years doesn't seem enough time to build a new game + engine, but what do I know, right? :-)

News from the Omsi forum:
  • OMSI will be cared of and patched beyond that year.
  • The betatesting before a patch release will continue.
  • It's not worth to discontinue the work on OMSI projects, since LOTUS will not be released in the next year!
  • The only platform we use for talking about LOTUS is currently Facebook.
  • The LOTUS-forum is not going to be revealed in the near future. The OMSI forum will persist in its current shape and is not going to be our platform to talk about LOTUS or make announcements about LOTUS.

Well, so 2017? 2 years doesn't seem enough time to build a new game + engine, but what do I know, right? :-)

Where did they say it would be available in 2017!?

As with everything OMSI related, I suggest caution around deadlines. I would hate them to rush it out as I suspected happened with Omsi 2

I agree as well. It would be a shame if LOTUS was rushed like OMSI2. They have stated on Facebook that it will not happen.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to more news (also screenshots/videos).