Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

whistlehead

OMSI Maps :: Farthington Demo (outdated, see description for latest version)

74 posts in this topic

Farthington Demo (outdated, see description for latest version)

Important notice: This map has recently (April 2017) been updated with performance improvements and compatibility fixes for newer versions of content packs, and can now be found hosted on the FellowsFilm Forums: https://fellowsfilm.co.uk/files/farthington-demo.612/

The version uploaded to the Aussiex servers is outdated, making use of old road markings, not taking advantage of recent developments in map optimisation, and using an old copy of Roadhog's pack which if installed at the same time as any map which uses the current version of this pack will break the textures on the traffic lights and most of the road markings. You have been warned!

Welcome to Farthington!

E3R6QEO.jpg

Introduction

Farthington is a moderately sized market town, set in the Cambridgeshire Fens. It is home to a small, independent bus operator, Kestrel, and is soon to be home to a Guided Busway. The map is currently in its infancy, with a single line - the route 001, a special service running from the town centre via the Park and Ride to the bus depot. There is also one AI line, the 208. The route has a scheduled time of 12 minutes end-to-end, and operates with two buses. Take it easy, there's more than enough for the journey - sit back and watch the scenery go by!

Before using the map, you must read the readme fully, as it contains links to the two external files you will need to use the map, as well as the settings you will need to use to run the map properly. If you find an issue, make sure you read the readme before posting about it.

The readme is located in OMSI 2\Documents\Farthington Demo

In spite of its size, Farthington is a fairly 'heavy' map on system resources, so you'll need a half-decent PC to get a reasonable framerate. If you do get poor performance, try turning down the texture size or the AI, as these will improve your performance without taking too much away from the appearence of the map. There are bugs with the map - these are listed in the readme. I will try to fix as many of these as possible in future versions.

Full credits are given in the readme. If you find a fault with any of these credits, or find I have included something I am not entitled to, please let me know and I will rectify this ASAP.

Have fun!

Repaints

You may find logos and suggested colour schemes for Kestrel, the map's bus company, in the OMSI 2\Documents\Farthington Demo\Livery folder. I have included two versions of the logo for different time periods. Unfortunately all of the buses in the depot wear the wrong ones, but I can fix that later...

I have been made aware of two repaints for the map which have been uploaded to the forum. These are both for the Wright Eclipse Gemini BETA, and can be found here:

Spoiler

FAQ

Is this it?

Not by a long shot! I just need to take a break from the map development while I settle into university, so I wanted to get the map out publicly in some form. I'm going to be introducing two new routes at least, so keep tabs on the map in the future!

I have a problem...

Please read the logfile before you post it here.

Can I modify the map?

Of course - for your own private use. You may not redistribute the map in any form without permission from myself and all of the people who have contributed content to the map's download.

If you want to make alternative AILists or such like and host them on the forum, be my guest.

Will we ever get to drive the busway?

Probably not, unless the OMSI devs make a working busway mechanic. Of course, there's nothing to stop you driving along it in an off-service bus...

I get poor performance...

Sorry about that, I'll be trying to optimise the map for low-spec PCs in future versions.

Tips for those new to left-path maps

Remember that we drive on the left side of the road, and our speeds are in Miles Per Hour (MPH) for some daft reason! Here's a rough conversion guide:

20mph = 35kph

30mph = 50kph

40mph = 65kph

60mph = 100kph

Note that a lot of the left-path buses available are from Hong Kong, and will have speedometers which read in KPH.

I have also included a short list of buses in the map which you may want to download to go with the map.

Please enjoy the map, and look out for future updates!

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/22/2015
  • Category
  • Which version of OMSI is this download for ?

Edited by whistlehead

Was not expecting it this soon! (Even if it's a demo xD)

Well I wanted to get something out before I went to uni, so here it is - with a week to spare!

Edited by whistlehead

So i just got home to find this here, my day has been saved! cant wait to have a drive after its finished downloading. :)

Great map with a lot of work gone into it. Well done all involved.

Looks good Might record if Ok with Whistlehead

Sure, go ahead!

I'll be updating the download to include the last set of files soon, as I've just got permission.

Lesson 2: Reading is very important, it contains so much information to help you out. Please read what the first and second post saids.

Lesson 3: Please read the forum rules to see what you can and can't do here at the forum: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/8097-welcome-to-world-of-omsi-forum-rules/

Have a nice time at aussiex ;)

Edited by Jokervation

Heads up - updated to v1.1. Very minor patch, just adds the Tony_A objects, fixes the blue fleet numbers on the buses and adds an icon for the map.

If you've already downloaded the map and the Tony_A objects, I've added a link to the first post which is the patch alone.

Have fun!

Edited by whistlehead

great work with your map you should be proud ^_^

Out of curiosity does anybody else get error messages regarding the Leyland Fleetline ?:)

Edited by 19956_1435088688

can't wait to play it, but it will take 4 hrs to download even on 50mb broadband.............. good things come to he who waits lol

can't wait to play it, but it will take 4 hrs to download even on 50mb broadband.............. good things come to he who waits lol

Takes 7 minutes on my 35mb broadband... I've tested it many times to check for problems before release

Still seems to be working fine for me, predicting 12 minutes. It's only 600MB...

I'm afraid if there are hosting problems, there's not much I can do about it.

i wasn't blaming you whistlehead, was just an observation, media file is a bit erratic, most things take me a while on there, not sure why though

Capture.JPG

i wasn't blaming you whistlehead, was just an observation, media file is a bit erratic, most things take me a while on there, not sure why though

I just downloaded it and it took me about 10 minutes in the end. I'm not sure why you're having problems. Sorry about that, if I could fix it I would :(

Had a quick drive around and it is awesome, definitely the best looking map I have seen so far.

However, it really needs optimising.