Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottharmes6

Birds in formation behind plane

4 posts in this topic

OK. This is going to sound strange. I saw something today I have never seen before, but unfortunately I didn't have a camera, or even my phone on me, which I am really disappointed about.

I was hanging some clothes on the line in my backyard today, and I heard and then saw a small plane, a Cessna I think, approaching overhead, as they often do. As I looked up I thought I also saw another plane in the distance, so Iooked up again, and looked more closely, and realised it was a bird following the plane. I then saw another bird beside the first. They were flying in formation with the plane, matching speed perfectly, each bird lined up with the plane's wing tip on each side, and trailing by about 30 metres (estimated). It looked like they were hitching a ride in the wake or something, as they were hardly flapping their wings, and were just gliding along really smoothly.

I would be curious to know if anyone else has ever witnessed something similar. I am still totally amazed by what I saw.

PS. The video below is not it.

https://youtu.be/EJ0AMsyc15I

Cheers,

You must have missed the film "Fly away home"! Mind you, I've not seen it realife either...

Cheers -Dai.

Ha ha. I did miss that one.

I just checked it out and it seems there is a huge similarity between the film and the you tube video I posted above, although there are different people involved.

Cheers,

If I remember right, there was a great scene where the microlights and geese landed at a military base?

A bit 'chintzy' but a 'feel good' film worth watching.

Cheers - Dai.