Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Esqui

What are you working on?

This thread is for you to post the ideas that you are starting work on for maps, vehicles and more.

We have introduced this thread to give a place for the early-stage ideas that may not otherwise be shown on the forum, and might help creators get a bit of extra help. We also hope that a bit of extra encouragement will help your idea get off the ground. Once your ideas have taken off a bit more, and you think you will be able to finish it, you may want to make your own WIP topic.

We may also move posts from WIP topics that don't meet the requirements, so that they can still be seen.

There are some important points to note for this topic, so please read and understand them:

- These works are very early on, and may never be finished. Do not ask for release dates (even estimated ones) or betas.

- The only requirement for posting is that you are starting work on the idea. You do not have to show screenshots or buildings (although we'd really love it if you did), and you don't have to update if little or no progress is made

- Do not ask others to make your ideas for you - this topic is not for maps you would like other people to make.

- Please do not harass creators for more pictures or updates, including via PM.

All other rules for the Work In Progress section apply.

This topic is ideal for me as I have recently started work on my first full scale map project, but don't feel that I have done enough work to warrant a WIP topic at present.

What I have been working on is a map to represent the estate that I live on (Clifton), and its bus routes into and out of Nottingham City Centre.

I have a couple of screens here taken on the editor, but please bear in mind that this is the result of about 8 hours work, by a novice map maker, so please don't expect perfection.

Untitled2_zpsf8ee23b4.png

This is an overview of what I have so far. This represents a section of Southchurch Drive, known to locals as 'Top Shops', as you can see good use is being made of Freeman's objects from Canterbury, as well as some standard objects, I have also used some of the UK ground notices which I believe are Road Hog's work.

Untitled3_zps95894134.png

This second shot shows a bus shelter that I believe is from one of the Hong Kong maps, I have made some small changes to the textures to include a Nottingham City bus map, and the bus stop flag, (a Freeman object) has been textured to suit the area.

The first route that I intend to include is Nottingham City Transport's GO2 Navy 48 (City > Clifton (Nobel Road)), and also the number 1 (Nottingham > Loughborough) as far as Gotham bus depot (which will be the main depot for the map.

Future expantions will hopefully include:

The rest of the GO2 Navy services namely 2, 3 and, Unilink 4, and also the Local link L53 (Clifton (Hartness Road) > Arnold) as far as QMC.

That is what I have planned so far, weather I will continue to add other areas and routes when these are done, remains to be seen.

If I am honest, I know that this is going to take an age to complete, as I am quite new to this and am taking my time to better learn the craft.

Thanks Esqui for this thread. It's a brilliant Idea.

Let's just say I'm starting to get cooking on something for my creation, Davisville3 ;) Right now I'm starting to work on the terminus, Davisville Station, and my goal for this project is more realistic scenery, and more realistic road implementation so it doesn't look whacky. I'll post some screens when I'm ready :)

Great Idea for a topic, At the Moment I have on the go :-

Lincolnshire RoadCar repaint pack for the MB305 - Just need to get round to doing the interiors.

gfag.jpg

Inter Valley Link DD set - for the SD77 and 83 - Should be finished in an hour or two.

x67i.jpg

And a Small South Wales 1980's map I've just ported over to OMSI2 It's been in development for 3 months now and is about quarter done, but not enough to want to show much of it yet.

x52w.jpg

Interesting topic :)

over the past year i have been playing about with the editor, getting to learn new ways of creating a structure using available buildings, different roads types etc.. and have not produced anything since the worst map ever made - Wyvern.

I had the idea to re-create a fictional town based on Redditch, Worcestershire, UK where my love for buses started. Planed out the bus station many times using Freemans objects and it looked fantastic :) - my name is Greenditch

Omsi 1 decided to play up on me and after backing up the files, it went missing so had to start again.

Now im getting to learn Editor 2, which for me is not going so well. Using omsi 1 editor, roads have started laying from the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Studley Road and in to Studley its self heading towards Alcester.

Editor 2 will be used for the scenery, however im trying to find out why some of freemans objects are not loading even tho canterbury was installed as well as Scunthorpe.

Plans are to have a few routes, maybe 6 then progress more as my learning comes more knowledgeable.

I would also like to bring back Wyvernshire Coastal to the editor, which in time may have a come back (even the waterfall i did)

I have had many ideas, worked on them but they are just not right. it thnat too much scenery, it is too less? you guys are the judges but i seem to put myself down to much, but Greenditch has started and it will continue, even if it takes me 6 years (omsi 4 by then lol) i will be determined to get this done. :)

I have just started (and am struggling with thanks to the editor's poor snapping) a map based on our local route 25. Don't expect it to ever be finished or see the light of day though. I'm getting extremely frustrated with the editor not doing what it's supposed to!

over the past year i have been playing about with the editor, getting to learn new ways of creating a structure using available buildings, different roads types etc.. and have not produced anything since the worst map ever made - Wyvern.

Wyvern wasn't the worst map ever made! The central part was very good (certainly given the time it was made), but a lot of the outskirts seemed unfinished and too narrow for buses. Still, don't put yourself down, it still is far better than a lot of people can manage (myself included)

Wyvern wasn't the worst map ever made! The central part was very good (certainly given the time it was made), but a lot of the outskirts seemed unfinished and too narrow for buses. Still, don't put yourself down, it still is far better than a lot of people can manage (myself included)

Thank you for the comment, to me it was the worst map lol as ive not seen anything as bad.

i was learning at the time and i just wanted to bring something personal to me on here to share.

When i shown pics of Coastal, the comments were amazing which i did carry on then 3 of us were working on it, road layer, scenery and bus repaints.

unfortunatly, scernery l;ayer fell ill and was not able to continue after many hours placing items on and i did not recieve it to continue.

but after Greenditch. Coastal could return :)

As most map makers i'm busy with making my maps Omsi 2 ready, starting out with Vlietburg. This Omsi 2 version will be released as V3.1, I also promised a V4 but that one is full of problems now so i decided to let it go. After converting Vlietburg i will look into the Spandau Xtreme serie to see what i can do there. First plan is to convert the M32 to Omsi 2. When that can be done i will look into the other parts and see if i can merge them with the new offficial map.

Between all the converting i have plans for a real Euro map. It's working name is EuroCity but that can be changed. I'm intending to make it a multi language map with different characteristics from some west european countries. Just an idea at the moment. One thing is for sure: it takes a while before that one is a fact. In any case long enough to give M&R the chance to come up with some patches and onter improvements.

Funny you should say that, my current side-project is to create a timetable book for Vlietburg. This is more likely to see the light of day than any map I try, but might be a while off yet

Nice!!! In that case i will make the schedules the same as the current version (all lines are made with the new trip system) and there is a good chance there are a few changes. A new line and a route altering.

I'll keep you informed!

All of part 1 is now done! I've now got a rhythm going that makes it a lot quicker to create timetables from the maps, which could come in handy

I have also used some of the UK ground notices which I believe are Road Hog's work.

They're not. Mine are the separate splines and object that allow you to make the bus stops any length you want, and with a proper weathered colour. :)

btv    0

These screenshots look like I remember those places in real life! Looks fantastic! :)

btv

Started working on a map I wanted to make for a very long time, my local route 38.

I plan to make it in the Hamburg kind of way, with minimal use of splines. This allows me to add certain details to the streets. (also it's more performance efficient I think)

f4yy.png

One version of the first big crossing is almost roughly finished, 2 versions more to go for the chrono system. (And I have to look at the real crossing since google streetview is outdated. Forgot to look at some details yesterday...) :ermm:screen is a little outdated. I only have some easy parts to do and then texture it correctly

I plan to use the chrono a lot, since I could never choose to make a Connexxion or Arriva version which kept me from starting in Omsi 1.

In short mutch work to do, guess it will take atleast a year, but I think in the end it will take 2 years to finish.

I do have one problem. Some way the map doesn't show op when I want to testdrive it. OMSI only shows grundorf and spandau.

Stupid me forgot to set load map without busses...

Cheers Jordi

Edited by jorD1

Very ambitious, you have to make Leiden Centraal and a small part of the city. I hope you get it done! Take your time, making a good map takes a while!

Very ambitious, you have to make Leiden Centraal and a small part of the city. I hope you get it done! Take your time, making a good map takes a while!

Thats the part I'm the least worrying about, it pretty straight forward road form the A44 to Leiden CS, Also the buildings are big easy blocks there. Valkenburg whould be hell to make. (And hell to drive since it's designed way too narrow for busses).

Maybe it was a bit stupid to start at vuurbaak, since it's one of the most complicated objects. But I had some pracctise, with a crossing and a somewhere else on the line (I think i showed them once). With that experience in mind I now have a new approach on starting construction on a crossing and it seems to work verry good. It takes a bit of preperation. but after that the work flow is very high.

The main problem I've now is that I might want to include the N206 (is a road not a line) and line30/31 too. A little bit of extra work, but that brings me too building the old 36 and new 37 too....... In short I've the final plan to make all Lines between Leiden and Katwijk. They're so interesting, fast lines, slow ones. Weird ones (The 38). Narrow streets etc.

Then for the chrono function I could make the famous 40/41, which connected Katwijk and Leiden untill 2008. (Actually no one know when that system was introduced, it has been in place for many years (Atleast 45-50 years). Every week I still hear many people complain in the busses that they would like the old 31/41 back. (Arrording to Wikipedia the route of the 41 almost didn't change for 119 years. (Fisrt being operated by steamtrams)

I'll show a new screen when vuurbaak is finished and the Vuurbaak it self is in place. (Let's say about 2 weeks since I'm too lazy to have a 2 minute walk to get some photo's......

Damm, too many nice routes to make. Planning for the coming 10 years:

2015: Line 38 (Katwijk-Leiden via Valkenburg, ERA: 208-2013)

2016: Line 37 (Katwijk-Leiden via Rijnsburg ERA: 2008-2013), 30 & 31 (Katwijk-Leiden via N206 ERA: 2008-2013)

2017-2020: Line 32 (old 33 till 2007), Line 31/41 (Via Rijnsburg ERA: Unknown-2008)

2020-2024: Extensions of 41/42 to Leiderdorp. Extension of 33 to Zoetermeer.

Hmm Should I just add line 90 too just to finish it :P

Probably I'm crazy... But it would be a Dream route, it's so diverse.

Edited by jorD1

Then for the chrono function I could make the famous 40/41, which connected Katwijk and Leiden untill 2008. (Actually no one know when that system was introduced, it has been in place for many years (Atleast 45-50 years). Every week I still hear many people complain in the busses that they would like the old 40/41 back.

Oh yes, the memories!

nzh35.jpg

source: http://www.museumbussen.nl/openbarewielen/archief/nzh/pagina-5.htm

I have a few more shots of my Nottingham based map to show.

Those who are familiar with the area, will notice that some of the buildings are not exactly like the original. i am having to cater to my skills at the moment and, hopefully as my skills improve the quality will improve.

Clifton "top shops"

2014-01-20_00001_zps6f14574a.jpg

The local Morrisons has morphed into a Lidl for now. #

2014-01-20_00002_zps373da0ca.jpg

Southchurch Drive.

2014-01-25_00007_zpsfdb758b3.jpg

Overveiw of the Northern part of Southchurch Drive, before work started on the Southern end.

2014-01-20_00006_zpsb8b9a82a.jpg

As you can see it is still very early days, but work continues when I have a spare few hours here and there.

I would like to ask for one bit of advice if I may though:

To try to keep this map as light as possible I am trying to keep the scenery down to just around the main routes. The problem that this produces is large expanses of nothing behind the scenery. What is the best way to conceal this? Plant trees as a screen? or just go the whole hog and build the streets immediately next to the main route? I want to avoid (as far as possible) making this map look tacky. I want to have as accurate a representation of the area as I can achieve within limitations.

Thanks to anyone that can help with this bit.

I would value the opinions of all on this map. I am still learning the craft so I know things aren't perfect. Constructive feedback helps me to learn.

All the best everyone.