Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Gazza

Collective Project

I would like to put it out there to everyone who would like to contribute to a project or more. This is to try an bring back some spring into the Australian Flight Simulation community.

The idea is to get as many people as possible to contribute to making several airports that are not already done in both FSX and P3D. I am angling towards P3D, simply because it has advanced far beyond FSX and the new 64bit version is not far away. What does that really mean, well for those of you who ramped up your pcs on hardware, you will finally get to put it to its full use. P3D 2.3 64 bit takes full advantage of all of your ram. multiple video cards and triple sli modes and it really does operate with much more detail and uses the resources smartly. I know a lot of people are comfortable in FSX and either can't afford to move to p3D or are scared to learn this stuff all over again, however it is the same apprehension we all have when moving from fs2004 to FSX, but im positive the change over will be substantial... For me I really like that there is now an under water world and the time is coming when I can take out a submarine in P3d and diver under the water, only to pop up and whack some Mother Trucker out of the sky with a missile.... lol ...

anyway all laughs aside, I like where p3d is going hence why I wish to dev for it as well as fsx.

Ok, I have some target fields in mind that just need to be added as they have been forgotten forever..

Gladstone (QLD)

Mackay (QLD)

Emerald (QLD)

Weipa (QLD)

Proserpine Airport & airpark (QLD) & Whitsundays including XXXX Island heliport

Bowen (QLD)

Ayr (QLD)

Innisfail (QLD)

This is just the start... There is a huge list of Queensland Airports that have just not been done at all and all of these will add a little something special to your flying experience... Im sure this is the same for all other states and territories of Australain as well..

Not withstanding the list above there is also a great many POI (Places of interest) that have not been added in all of there glory. For example I am currently working on adding Railways throughout QLD, that not only look good, but are accurate and very realistic looking.. Trains for QLD that are being covered are

Coal Trains Static, AI and animated

Freight trains static, AI and animated

Passenger Tilt train

Suburban trains

Gold Coast Trams

This will cover all diesels, electric locomotives, along with all types of rolling-stock wagons.. Freight, coal, grain, cars, flatbeds, passenger, blah blah blah blah... you get the picture..

POI-

Shipping ports, terminals, wharfs, and all associated with marine operations

Railways..Stations, sidings

Roads, signs, markers, lights, traffic

Rural farming, cotton, wheat, hay,milo, cattle, sheep, Dairy

PR realistic townships small ones

Everyday life bush fires, coppers nabbing ya for speeding, car accidents, ambos, Metro firies, police Rural or volunteer firies.. Defence forces and military exercise in areas...

The list is fairly substantial of what can be done on fsx and p3d to enhance our flying experience.

So what I am asking is (A) How many of you would be interested in a collective project or projects and (B) What would you like to contribute?

To help you out with this here are some areas that will need to be covered.

Texture artists

Researches

Photographers

AI creators

Model makers

Photo real implementers

Autogen Authors

This is just to name a few or the areas that would be required.

All I ask is that if you view this thread, please leave a comment either for or against the idea..

If you don't think your work is good enough, but there is an area that you are interested in, then perhaps you could team up with another member that has a little more experience in those fields. This way we get more skilled hands and more projects turning and burning for our sim Community...

Anyway that's my Brian dump for today.. I am happy to field any comments or questions that you may have...

Thanks again for reading..

Gazza,

Count me in...I still have many Learner plates on, but am keen to get on board. You must have been having a brain dump because u called it your "Brian" dump above :)

Now, I had a in depth converstation with Trev last night after our online flight along with Misha, and we discussed the same thing as you mentioned above, but not in as much detail. One thing mentioned was the exact thing about using different people for different parts of the scenery...modellers, PR, etc.

One thing Trev was contemplating was the offer from Nearmaps to download hi res PR for 12 months. He was thinking of subscribing to get as much PR as he could as a base to develop from. One thing Misha said was that some good quality aerial imagery is very big in gigabytes to download depending on the area. He also mentioned that you maybe able to get the same res PR from some free sites, depending on the area. Misha said that he was unsure of the benefit of the subscription, with the quality of the aerial Imagery unknown until after you subscribe.Thats up to Trev to decide, but some hi res imagery would be great to use.

Anyway that aside, I am in. One area I was interested in was Narromine and Dubbo as they would fill in few gaps in that region. Maybe even Mudgee or as far out as Cobar and Bourke. I think Nyngan is already done.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth, and I agree it would be great to get some new stuff out there, and with our combined effort, it is certainly achievable.

Craig

EDIT - Here is Dubbo

nuOl3.jpg

Count me in too. I think it would be a really good idea to make things in a collaborative way. I am already thinking about how I can get Teecee involved with the Mount Buffalo scenery, as he has already offered to help out with adding some buildings etc, and I think everything you have suggested above sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe we could start some new threads or sections if and when needed where people can upload either aerial imagery or images to be used as textures, images around airports etc.

I am already using P3D too, as well as FSX, (although I have to re-install P3D) and I think it would definitely be wise to be thinking about the future. If we can develop for FSX and P3D it would be best, I'm just not sure how different the development for each is, so I will have to do some research in to that. With photo scenery I don't see it being very difficult to develop for both, but as for 3D models and autogen etc, I really don't know.

Cheers,

Just lost my FSX to a massive system crash (it was over 160gig) so I have decided to only run Prepar3d V1.3 now..I will probably go to V2 later but the thought of all the re-downloading puts me off at this time.. All this said, I am no use to you for scenery design or development as I only use instant scenery for my addons, and you guys seem to like to create your own buildings and objects..However, If I can be of any help in other ways I am in, just don't expect me to learn to create any objects (I may be capable of learning to do PR..Not sure) As at seventysix ANY learning curve is too steep :D ..Teecee.

Wow obviously there is a common thread of thoughts out there within this community...

Craig, I'm positive that you will make some outstanding models and stuff for the sim.

Scott, I think there is a common thread above in Ozx that I saw yesterday about being able to store stuff for libararys, textures etc and if I am wrong, then I will build a website this evening where we can store everything we could need...Kinda like a bank where we can deposit images, textures models and also withdraw or download them for use in the sim..

Teecee... that's terrible about your system crash... But don't give up yet as it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.... you can use instant scenery and I am sure if you can do that then there is certainly a role for you... All air strips, airfileds, airports and helipads or helipots all need to have vegetation and other objects placed and that is an area that you could cover if you are intested. About the teaching bit, Im sure you or we (as a collective group) could work out Autogen annotator so you could get right on top of the Autogen stuff...

As you can see everyone can play a role that is significant no matter how big or small that part you play...Craig if I may use you as an example to teecee.. A week ago Craig was doing his head in with learning how to make models for fsx. We hooked up for less than 1 hr and knowledge sharing and now he is going gang busters and turning our some ball breaker models as you can see in the Newcastle thread.. If we all share the knowledge we get there faster, achieve more....

Im loving the though of getting everyone aboard... I may add a thread with a survey if possible where we can list up all the project airports for each state and another for poi of the same states where the community votes on which ones they want to see completed first.. It wont always be a field that you want to do or are familiar with, but it will get the interest back in the FS community...

Certainly share your thoughts and feed back for the above mentioned here lads...

I would certainly like to see more people put there hands up to contribute to this collective....

Garza,

U give me a big rap above, but I am still learning, and my next big step will be learning how to get the model from where it is at the picture level I posted into the sim at a level where it doesn't stop the PC with poor frames.

If we could get some more interest back into the sim, that would be great.

Craig, getting into the sim is the easy part... All you need is Model converter X and instant scenery the models and skills develop with time mate...im only a week ahead of you using the same program... IF this fails then Im going to have to go back to gmax or 3dsmax...

With regards to frame rates, don't dwell on that to much as P3d V2.3 64 bit will solve that

Tree tops, sure no problem. What needs to happen?? To be honest with you im not up for any stupid rules or protocols mate, I just enjoy making models and scenery that we can all use in our flight sim, be it FSX or P3D. Not saying that this is the case, just don't want to bogged down with silliness mate..

As I am not aware of whats in the backend, Perhaps we could have a discussion via phone or Skype.. Im happy to give you a call no problem, if you want to send me your mobile or landline number..

I would like to have an area where I can upload models as individual files or a library of models, so the authorised members that are working on collaborative or joint projects can grab what they need and place in the scenery area. For me I like to have a library of objects... like GAzza's Emergency services Vehicles library or Road signs and useful objects library as an example. That way the lads know what they are grabbing down... All will come with images on whats in the package..

As a starting point I would like to share the ADF vehicles that I have already for those who wish to populate there scenery areas with something a little different.. I am aiming to inspire the fs community to get right behind this and engage lots of people who can contribute, but just don't know how. There are so many fields that folks can contribute to...

Take Arno fro FSdeveloper... the mans a genius, and creates programs that interface with flight sim so we can all make this in the sim easier.. Don't know the bloke, but would love to have a beer with him one day and talk about some things that could be improved dramatically...

I have even been down the path of looking to have som 3d texture artist and model makers from Bangladesh generate heaps of objects that can be placed into the sim.. Things like low poly 3d people, I just can not make... my people always turn out gimp and over sized or fat and missing an eye of something....anyway there is lots of things I want to see in the sims....

If you want to call me, my number is 0402 532 873..

Cheers mate

Craig, That Dubbo image looks awesome and would be a great destination to fly into...

Actually lads I see an opportunity here for some input form each of you..

Craig, as you reside in NSW, (Bloody Origin) can you make a wish list of all the airfields in NSW, be it private, public or restricted that you want to see in the sim.

Scott as you are in VIC, any chance you can do the same?

Tree Tops, Your in WA, so I guess it would be good to see a list from you as well.

Not only the airfields, strips and airports lads, but also open your minds to POI's. I know a lot of the mines in WA have been done is OZx already and they look awesome, but some of them could now do with a revisit to add processing structures, railways, plant machinery power poles... blah blah. Its all the little things that bring an area to life and I for one would like to be part of creating Dubbo and many other fields..

This sounds like a pretty good project idea.

I've dabbled in a bit of scenery design before, mainly experimenting with groundpolys in Gmax, buildings in Blender and some re-sampled PR work. However, because I couldn't find any freely distributable satellite imagery for Australia, I started developing some stuff in the US, but would much prefer to make things back home.

So I'm happy to help in these areas if you need more people.

Cheers

Ryan

Hi all

Long time simmer from old school

I have been working in the background with Gazza on airport modelling

Have made a start on emerald airport

Have access to a pilot who flys into the regionals who has been collecting photos airside for me

Just revived the emerald ones today

Happy to help out and join you all in this collective project

All my models are done in google sketch up the I send them to Gazza to convert to sim

Look forward to working with you all

Some modelling pics to come stay tuned

Regards

Craig

(Bloody Origin) ..

say no more Gazza...only take 8 years, but we won thats all that matters:)

As for protocols and rules...Trev would be able to inform if there are any, but its pretty informal ...nothing stupid though..probably some common sense rules...

These images are from Cbird. They are of Emerald Airport in Western QLD Airside. Notably we are both looking at the near maps packages for the PR, but neither of us are any good at PR placement or masks....

IMG_2642_zps23f9b819.jpg

IMG_2643_zps130c3d36.jpg

The last PR I did all was a lovely crisp image of the Gold Coast just south of cooly airport and when I put it in the sim it looked like a dropped pizza that a dog spewed on. So PR and me don't do well...

"say no more Gazza...only take 8 years, but we won thats all that matters:)"

8 Years of learning on how to get it right...I think there was a book going around for a while there, called how to win origin for dummies... I think all of NSW Origin players, coaches and staff bought it .... lol

As for rules want this to be a fun thing and not silly, sure there needs to be some common sense rules and protocols...

Gazz,

The packages from near maps - The $200 one gives you the first 2 months unlimited I think, so you would go hard for those 2 months and get as much imagery as possible, and get more each month with the limit of 250mb / month

Gazza

"With regards to frame rates, don't dwell on that to much as P3d V2.3 64 bit will solve that"

where did you read this??

What type of imagery file is provided by nearMaps?? it is important to be able to colour them.

Jorge

Hi Jorge, regarding P3D 64bit, I have a horse with the source. That i'm afraid I wont be sharing.. With regards to Nearmaps, I have not used their stuff, however I believe that scottharmes6 may have used it previously. I do know that what the format is, but the guys are able to work with it nicely.

Lads as mentioned earlier by Cbird, he is in the initial stages of doing Emerald Airport in Queensland (The state that finally lost the Origin).. Here is an early shot of the main terminal under development.

StartEmeraldTerminal_zps1ee8fdea.jpg

Im sure as he does more there will be more images that pop up to keep everyone in the loop...

if This is done in sketchup (looks like) has he got Geosketch to port it to P3D? or is there anything else...I've used sketchup , but I think t is very hard on FPS in FSX...

I've used gmax for models and GP's but never tryed P3D modeling...

sorry to ask the hard questions...but...been there , done that...

Jorge

I assume no matter what the model there will be a way to port over to either fsx or p3d

As for sketchup I'm not sure what it's like on frames

Please tell us more from your previous experience.

Happy to try out other design programs

I am too getting my head around sketchup, but are yet to try on frames.

Here is a start on the Dubbo terminal ..still needs external textures .

NIol.jpg

6UOsN.jpg

Anyway...got to start somewhere....whether its this program or something else.