Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

palyarmerc

UK Farmstrips

Hi everyone,

I think this is probably the best place to announce my work, where it will more likely have some interest than general FSX forums

I loved VOZ for FS9, and am even more delighted that Denmark, Albany was present in OZx when I moved over to FSX

(I have a friend who lived there, - Also have relatives near Archerfield, Brisbane)

And so (the following is a copy and pasted description)

The UK Farmstrips created by Gerry Winskill and Pete Chapman were designed for use with VFR Photo Scenery

The airstrips followed the contours of the terrain mesh and, with some being quite short, made for some exciting takeoffs and landings

In 2009 I re-created a non-VFR version of UK Farmstrips for FS9 (available at Avsim - nonVFR_Farmstrips)
My FSX version also provides non-photo-scenery users the FSX Farmstrips which will follow the terrain contours and align with Gerry and Petes fields

The exception is only that thay are being built around the ORBX (FTX) England Scenery Addon, not the default FSX.

Thanks to SBuilderX and to 'Making Country Airstrips' OZx Guide by Prof John Hockings, I have

1) Added a runway ground texture, which removes autogen trees and buildings and is all seasons and times compatible

2) Added photo-scenery which is, unfortunately, only for Daytime / Summer use

In a nutshell, Uk Farmstrips for FSX with ORBX FTX EU England

1) Summer / Spring - Daytime Only Textures (not tested on default FSX or FTX-Global)

2) Runway textures (added) and Autogen (removed) for use with (or without) Gerry Winskill's and Pete Chapman's (Essex) Farmstrips for FSX

Attempting to work out how to host the zip as it now sits at 684Mb

here's the link to my site where I'll keep the information updated

http://www.nomandown.co.uk/FSX_Farmstrips_FTX/gallery.php

Edited by palyarmerc

That is great news I'm certainly watching this space

Downloaded & installed, this is what we've needed in the UK for a while as there are lots of small private fields to land in (OZx type bush flying strips except in the UK with less "bush") + all selectable within FSX and Plan-G

Edited by Bruce e

Thanks for showing interest Bruce :-)

Alignment with the originals by Gerry and Pete was important to me, and unless I add Buildings and trees later, we'll

have to just put up with some placement errors

I did begin by adding the chequered hangar to denote each field, but gave up half way thru

Would be nice if other got involved at some stage, along with Neil Birch's work, there are probably over 300 strips in the UK

In it's basic format, I've essentially just added photo-real runways and runway start points

It will be easier for anyone to add an _objects.bgl to include buildings and trees to their favourites as they see fit.

Happy that at least one other person will enjoy these (took me at least 5 solid working days I reckon)

Even as they are, some look real nice and make for some fun landings !!

Hi. I am downloading these at the moment. Thanks for sharing these sceneries here. It's been a while since I've flown anywhere besides Australia and the US, so this will give me a good excuse to get to the UK.

Cheers,

Sasdly I Missed these, i have no idea how..and even more sadly the link no longer works, anyone know of other links anywhere?? Teecee.

Hi Teecee,

I just tried the link at the bottom of the first post and it works ok for me. Here it is again:

http://www.nomandown.co.uk/FSX_Farmstrips_FTX/gallery.php

The download links on the page are just above the two "EGHB-Maypole Farm" pics.

There is a base package which is apparently just 93 KB and then there is a list of scenery packages titled Scenery A-B, Scenery C.....

Just click on each title (Scenery A-B etc) to get the downloads.

Cheers,

Edited by scottharmes6

On 26/02/2014 at 10:05 AM, Bruce e said:

That is great news I'm certainly watching this space

Downloaded & installed, this is what we've needed in the UK for a while as there are lots of small private fields to land in (OZx type bush flying strips except in the UK with less "bush") + all selectable within FSX and Plan-G

Hi Bruce & Scott,

Have you found these farm strip downloads work ok ? Any comments etc?.
Is there a 'packaged' download for the whole set now palyarmerc? ^_^

On 14/09/2016 at 1:16 PM, nbrettoner said:

Hi Bruce & Scott,

Have you found these farm strip downloads work ok ? Any comments etc?.
Is there a 'packaged' download for the whole set now palyarmerc? ^_^

Hi Noel,

Sorry, just saw this post.  I actually haven't tested them very well, and probably only checked out a few when I first installed them.  I don't currently have them installed.  Might be something to do though, as I'm currently flying around Ireland and making my way towards England.  I have been going from scenery to scenery that I have listed in my current scenery.cfg, so I'll have to re-install the farm strips. It looks like there is a torrent download which covers it all at the top of the page.

If you give the sceneries a go, let us know how you found them.

Cheers,

Scott

OK will do Scott. ^_^
   I've only recently 'enabled' my free downloaded UK stuff. I have several 'unused' strips showing in Plan G but apparently not modelled in FSX.
I don't have Global, but did download the 800 odd Mb England UK stuff recently. (OrbxFTXEUENG150).
As yet not really checked many of the farm strips but hope to in awhile.
   My right wrist is playing up again (RSI/OOS) so need to back off from the PC for a couple of days. Am quite busy too with genealogy, working with three or four other people. But they too will need to wait.

Ireland sounds interesting ^_^
I'm interested in the IOM, Hastings UK & West Riding Yorkshire areas genealogically. London's awesome!.

Edited by nbrettoner