Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Tony_A

Some revived scenery

I haven't posted on these forums for quite a while. The last scenery I uploaded was Young, NSW some time back. After retiring from work and a bit of a stint in hospital I finally have a computer that runs FSX without stuttering and collapsing and have revived a couple of scenery projects I was working on. The first one that I think is about ready for uploading is Isisford in far Western Queensland.....

I'm not quite sure what the system for submitting sceneries is now. I'll give Isisford a bit of a workout to see if I can break it and then zip it up and put it up for testing
Cheers Tony

Good to be back here guys. What's the current practice to put a scenery up for testing? Do we still use the FTP site and if so where can I get access to the site or what is currently the usual practice.

Cheers Tony

Hi Terrible T,

Sorry I forgot your name.

While I operate FSX on my flight PC, I know next to nothing about FSX development.

As you may recall I was Anthony Lynch's understudy when Voz came to a close and I moved over to MAIW website as they were still doing FS9 development, they still are today. I turned from scenery development to AI Aircraft and back again. Having developed the Airbus MRTT, PC-9, PC-21, F35A, Tucano and helped with a number of other AI used by the RAAF and vistors to Oz.

However I have recently terminated my membership from that website for personal reasons and don't ever expect to return there, even for a look.

Before I was to book a seat here at OZx as a developer I would need to know why developers are so light-on when this was once a website that was the envy of the world, now there is barely a new thread listed on a topic and the pictures at the top of the forum are mostly of buses and coachliners which seems a little odd for a flightsim website like this one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against buses, it just does not look like this a serious flight simulator website any more and if I get that feeling about it then it may explain what others also feel.

I have made objects for FSX and some were given to Mark Lee in the form of locomotives here at Ozx but I see nothing come from that scenery, I'm not aware as to the reasons behind that.

It just seems like a great exit of FSX developers around that time, may be you could enlighten me!

cheer's,

Hello,

Over 2 years ago the decision was made for the OZx developers to migrate across to Orbx so they could use their libraries and development tools to develop better freeware scenery. Unfortunately it has not turned out as planned since they all got absorbed into payware development but thats the way the cookie crumbles. At the same time Mark Lee and Johno retired so thats the reason for the slowdown in scenery development.

Since then there have been times where some developers have been active and times when they have not.

It would be great to have some more people come through with a willingness to learn the scenery craft. We have some testers ready to go but not the developers.

At the same time Jay hosted the OMSI bus simulation and it is a very active community. This in no way impeeds any OZx activity but you do see a lot of pictures scrolling across the top of the page.

You might also remember Jack but we havent heard from him since about August.

Trev has, as usual, covered most of the bases and I would only add that I do remember you Mile High and the good work you did in VOZ (ah what great days). I was privileged to be one of Ant's first testers in VOZ and he still gives me that favour to this day (as he does Trev/Tree Tops)

I would judge from your comments re MAIW that you are aware of some of the argey-bargey and politics that can occur amoungst the artisitic and creative people on Flightsim websites and there has been some of that here at OZx as well, sadly, with resulting departures. Age is also a factor as many developers were/are quite mature (as I am even though just a tester). Real life has recently impacted on a number of our burgeoning developers.

FSX is in many ways a much tougher developing environment with consequent stress and pressure in the team environment - but the results are so much better than FS9.

Anyway it's up to you of course and I've stolen this thread long enough - welcome back again Tony_A

Sorry Tony A, I didn't mean to hijack your wonderful achievements in this thread with my questions about non-related issue.

I will take all the answers given to me on board and think about your proposal in 2014. At this point in time Christmas is almost upon us and a girl has plenty to prepare before the silly season kicks-in proper. I still have more questions but they can wait I'm sure.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Tony's Isisford scenery when he is happy and finalised it.

cheer's to one and all,

Marketa

Edited by Mile High

Having been on the Committee here back in the VOZ days, I am well aware of the feelings that sometimes crop up in these type of forums and have always done my best to not get involved in any arghy bargy. Trev has pretty well summed up the situation at the time. I more or less just dropped out of scenery work due to my computer at the time being not up to the job of running FSX at a reasonable rate plus work commitments and .have now got a better computer and plenty of time on my hands.

Cheers. Tony

I had moved away from scenery for a long time and have been concentrating on more the helicopter side with Nemeth, but that said. I would love to do a few more fields, my last one in development was Colac before getting swamped with other work. Although I have many sidelines and my progress would be slow. I don't have the time to learn Gmax to create objects, but using the generic library I am sure I could still come up with some reasonable semblances or team up with someone who has the time to make Gmax objects for projects. I miss the early days of Ozx, But like the guys have said, a lot of the talent has moved on to payware so good for them. But I have no interest in doing that for money so I'd love to get back into it in some way.

Well I'm one person glad to hear that there is still some interest in freeware scenery development out there, even if its OZx members using the libraries to complete there projects. I'm not much of an airport developer as such as I am an object developer.

I much prefer to make objects and pass them to other developers like 'aussiecop' who may be more patient with afcad and placement of objects. For me, I like to keep active and moving so getting bogged down on an entire airport from the ground up is not my cup of tea.

I am estimating YAMB is going to take me around 6-8 months to complete and that is with the help of another developer who is looking after the photo-ground tiles and afcad design.

I'd also be interested in a section being included in the forum to attract AI and On-line Aircraft developers.

PS: Hey Aussiecop, I have a holiday home at Peachtree City to the south, great golf course. The place runs amuck with golf carts everywhere.

Edited by Mile High

Sounds like we are the perfect partnership then Mile High as I like to do ground work and photoreal but can do objects at all (but know how to place them!) About half of my office lives in Peachtree city, they have to leave home at 5am to beat the traffic, but they love getting home and running around in those little golf carts... I am not a golfer so that area never appealed when I moved down here, I am up north in Alpharetta. We could always start with a small airport with just a few odds and sods.

Cheers,

Ryan

Yes mile high is right this was once a thriving place to be, but now it is more like the mining town or Mary kathlene.... Gooone.. So disappointing in many ways. Some ego's, attitudes and empire builders got in the way of this woulderful site going from strength to strength..

I know it's been a while since I started this thread and Isisford hasn't materialised but it's not really dead just taking a bit longer to resuscitate. I had a mixture of FS9 and FSX libraries and I've been trying to replace them with FSX versions as well as reworking some bits and learning to do photo-real runways and tarmacs with Arno's MCX Ground Poly Wizard. I've also been working on Thangool which is the airport for the Central Qld mining town of Biloela. I think Thangool is almost 100% complete so I'll zip it up and put it up for some testing. Here's a sample of YTNG so far.....

Nice! Good to see that we may get another Aus strip..Aus is still my favouite place to fly..Keep up the good work Tony..Teecee.