Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Allan Prewett

Download did not seem to work

Question

Hello,

I downloaded the Ozx freeware airfields, and did a test flight from Tumut to Adelong as that was on the list.

Flew exactly as instructed; heading 237 for 8min at 110 knots but could not find anything.

I searched the net but could not find any Adelong airfield to try and help me locate it.

I was fairly south of Adelong.

If there another quick test I can do to see if I have downloaded them properly?

Some field that would be impossible to miss.

Also I see reference to using Google Earth or maps, is there some tutorial to help me use this tool?

I don't understand computers very much.

Allan

10 answers to this question

Hello,

I installed 3 to 3.4.

But an update.

I flew to Adelong and zipped around and found the strip. But time from Tumut is more like 5min at 100-110knots.

So maybe the 8min is from take off. I originally climbed then flew over Tumut airfield on the correct heading at 110knots and 8min took me nearly twice as far.

But I don't recall seeing a speed mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks for the fields

Allan

Hello Allan,

Just to clarify the details in the airfield directions document, the last 3 digits is the Distance in Nautical Miles. So for your example above to find Adelong from Tumut YTMU you fly heading 237Mag for 8 NM. The fun bit is calculating the flying time yourself depending on your aircraft speed. Thus in your case above 8/100 = 0.08 Hours or 4.8 minutes. :) .

Cheers.

Speed is not mentioned, neither is time! If you are looking at the six numbers after the flight, the first three ate the heading you fly and the second three are the distance. You have to calculate the time, based upon what speed you intend to fly.

Oh sorry, I must have got muddled thinking it was time. Then the calculation was spot on. That part of flying is all new to me as a simmer. I don't have any maps except on the computer nor had to work out knots to nautical miles etc.

Thank you everyone.

An easy rule of thumb is for every 60 knots of speed you travel 1nm per min. ie 120 knots is 2 nm per minute. 180 knots is 3 nm per minute.

So 8nm to travel at 120 knots will take 4 mins.

Oh sorry, I must have got muddled thinking it was time. Then the calculation was spot on. That part of flying is all new to me as a simmer. I don't have any maps except on the computer nor had to work out knots to nautical miles etc.

Thank you everyone.

Allen, take a look here for finding all the the OZX airfields

Peter

Hello Allan,

If you do not have an old trusted Jeppesen flight computer (from your local aviation shop), you could always download the "iE6B" app for you iPhone which is a great tool to do some calculations. The app is free. That's if you have an iPhone?

Peter's link is a life saver too. Or the old GPS is a goody too.... I must admit that the GPS is so easy when it comes to point and shoot. However the old school Jeppesen flight computer is the "back to roots" flying and -in my opinion- should be learnt before using the GPS. Its like learning to tell the time with an analogue watch before you use a LCD digital.....

Happy flying.

Tim...

p.s. Peter's link is the best way to see if your airfields have loaded correctly because you can start a flight from this application. Just type in the airport code and if you do not see an airstrip then your initial OZx downloads have not installed correctly. I know I got caught out the first time I installed OZx but they were all there.

Hi Allan like pete and tim have already mentioned that small file works a treat, im one of those who dont read manauals but rather use programs like flight sim commander to get me to b and c

you cant go wrong with that file, however it hasnt got the latest bunch of strips on it, might be a something to look into