Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Simmo W

Bacchus Marsh Airfield, YBSS, Victoria Oz

This'll be the home of some of the progress shots of my very first 'proper' airfield. I have permission to do some onsite photography, so will be driving out tomorrow, weather permitting, to realise just what size of a job I've just committed to - it's quite a big, active airfield, with a large gliding and ultralight presence, 2 large grass verges with 2 hard runways. Perfect hopping distance from YMML in your Ant's Drifter!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchus_Marsh_Airfield

had time to go to the airfield for the first time today, heck it's pretty extensive for a lil' ole country field! I've counted around 50 buildings. It's a little piece of heaven for us aviation nuts, so quiet and unhurried. Here's a quick video of what I encountered briefly, some very aggressive security guards:

Yep, the unmistakable sounds of a pair of Plovers. Unusually, they nest on the ground.

Wonder if they need ATC clearance to be flying near an active runway? :rofl2:

Because I can laugh at myself and the mistakes made/lessons learned......

Here are some spectacular results of getting elevation data WRONG, eventually corrected but it did give me a chuckle. I need some better satellite imagery, plus the alignment's a little wrong.

Talk about a spectacular Ayers Rock type formation not far from Melbourne!

gK2tl.jpg
e5abW.jpg
qhXdi.jpg
jZq6O.jpg
Ah, that's better, all elevations correct!:
TlQIO.jpg
Good to get the photoreal remotely in the right position, but still a bit off and this summer image, wow they had a bad drought at the time of the Yahoo image:
01rbs.jpg

Wow, I've found starting this project very difficult for many personal reasons, but I've finally got close to being happy with the photoreal placement. What a BEaytch!! So hard to align the photo to the airfield alignment due to dodgy images!! Then color matching. Oh well, nothing's meant to be easy is it?

I have to admit that this early stage of using ADE or whatever to produce the basic taxiways and aprons seems to be the most daunting, as the base determines the whole look of the airfield. I'll need to revisit the field to document the exact make up of each taxiway (I can't even recall if it's concrete or gravel, gravel I think...)

I'm stuck on the whole approach though, as I suspect that to get a look as good as the orbx stuff there's other trickery involved like modelling the majority of aprons etc in Blender/Gmax, hmm I wonder if anyone knows the secret...It's just that the ADE stuff looks so basic and frankly horrible! Sheesh, the 3D modelling is easy-peasy compared to this.

l8roE.jpg
3HMb.jpg

3-4 years on and I have come across this ^_^ It sure looks like you made a decent start! I cant help but wonder if you were able to make any further progress? Australia and in particular Victoria really needs more FSX airstrips at the ORBX level of quality...