JayKae

warning
( ALL MEMBERS READ) OZx and Plagiarism

7 posts in this topic

In any case Plagiarism, will not be tolerated here at OZx

Any Claim or Suspect file, the upload will be removed from public view and it will be looked into. Then Any file found to be as such will be removed without any warning, and offender will be requested to send an apology the original author. Failing that the offender will be banned and all their works will be deleted.

If you feel that a file has been plagiarized please let one of the Committee members or myself know and we will look into it.

Thank you.

On another personal note to everyone, please do not abuse the freedom we give you on this site, nor mistake the freedom given with a carte blanche to rip off other people's work.

Hi Guys as one of the Library Mangers I would like to highlight what this is, as there may be confusion about this with members who are not aware of the meaning,

I would like to start off with the dictionary definition from Wiki

Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work.[1][2] The idea remains problematic with unclear definitions and unclear rules.[3][4][5][6] The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement. Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics. It is subject to sanctions like expulsion. Plagiarism is not a crime per se but in academia and industry it is a serious moral offence,[7][8] and cases of plagiarism can constitute copyright infringement.

And now, the short and simple version

If i was to grab someones textures from here, lets take these for example; and then add a few minor details of my own so it looks like this

glenn.pngbarryh.png

Then upload it without the original author's consent regardless even if I gave credit to him or not in the read me file and even though Ive slightly modified it, It is still

considered Plagiarism regardless the fact that is been changed, or modified for another model.Regardless that its taken me weeks to create the new version, its still considered Plagiarism

We are very lucky here to have some very talented Painters and Library Mangers who take this very seriously and who can identify this form of theft with ease and will do their very best to keep people's work original here. As Jay mentioned he too feels the same way and will try his best to weed out the bad eggs.

Thank you.

Interesting. I was guilty of a knee-jerk reaction to a paint uploaded here, of a real world aircraft I had done. 'Cheeky bugger!' I thought. All he's done is to slap a fictitious registration on it and called it his own. kman.gif

However, there were little clues to be found, a line not lined up here, a smidgen too low there. jeansy, you know what I mean. I concluded it wasn't my paint after all.

The point of this post is this..Does plagiarism come into it when doing real world aircraft repaints? Tricky. wonder.gif

Edited by Ron Attwood

Indeed Ron you have opened up the quandary of the law of Intellectual Propertycool.gif

Technically a repaint of any existing scheme, either real or virtual, satisfies one of the elements of a breach of Copyright and/or Trade Mark laws in most, but not all, countries - there is no consolidated international law in the field. startle.gif

But two other elements are not satisfied for a breach:

2. Freeware paints are not done for private reward; and

3. There is no provable damage caused to the original creator even by paints supplied in payware packages.

Put simply, it's all about money - if there's no provable loss of money, there's no breach of law.

Morally of course is a different matter - let he who is without sin cast the first stone fear.png

The stance taken by OZx is a matter of principle in a forum that make's it own rules - viva OZx thumbsu.gif

I think I was wondering the same thing that Ron and Terry are talking about. Using the above example of textures, they do look very similar, but would they not always look very similar if recreating the same real world scheme using a template like a paint kit?

If the sim paint job is done to the correct level of detail to recreate the real world scheme, wouldn't it be expected that the work of two different authors would look exactly the same as they are recreating the same thing?

Cheers,

The textures above are exactly the same textures with an additional layer added to the later one

When it comes to custom work its almost impossible to re create the same thing, even when someone traces someone's else work which is another form of plagiarism

Lines will be slightly out, colours will slight be different and fonts will be slightly out etc etc it may be only a few pixels but that's enough to tell, that's even with the use of paint kits

That is why it's just a common courtesy and general rule among painters not to do a paint that is already done, unless its going to be dramatically different

It prevents such immoral acts and prevents the hassles of accusations

We might wrap it up here, if anyone has any further questions please don't hesitate to contact the library managers