Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Akinesis

My first airfield - Orange YORG under construction!

Hi all,

I really hope I am posting this in the right place!!

OK, so I am very keen to get involved with airport design with OZx. I use FSCaptain and I base myself out of Camden in NSW and I've been making a note of airports that I fly to which have not yet been developed. I was first keen to do The Oaks, which is just to the West of Camden and would server as a good VFR item, but it looks like 'Pilatushe - Andreas Hegi' has that in the making (I'm assuming the Scenery Registration thread is stil extant). So I thought I would start with Orange Airport (YORG).

I have spent the last week learning how to use the programs to develop airports, and I started on Orange last night. Below is my work so far (and please note that this is only two hours in and I am aware of how badly it fits into the existing scenery). So my first want is to blend the airfield much better with the existing scenery, and any advice on how to better do that is welcome. Initially, my method will be to keep adjusting the blendmask until it fits better, and then tune the colouring. Unless there is an easier way? I am a perfectionist so please don't think I am slap-dash with such things. This airfield will be blended into the scenery one way or another.

I would like to use some existing OZx library objects such as windsocks and markers, but I will tread carefully there as I am under the presumtion that folks need to qualify as designers before they are permitted to use such items. So for the time being I will be using standard hangers and buildings. Until I've learnt how to create my own buildings then I will continue to construct Orange with pre-created structures.

As you may be able to see I have started on the taxi-ways, hard-standings and modified the runway slightly. I have also blended out some aircraft that were captured in the satellite image. I will start on the carpark next.

YORG_zpsd57ee12b.png

There we have it. I am announcing that YORG is under construction by myself. I and really want to make it good, so feel free to be (constructively fear.png ) brutal with critisism, hints, tips and pointers.

Updates will follow!

Edited by Akinesis

Looks good! First thing to do is exclude the airport background with Sbuilder X (thats the hard edged texture you see peeking out under your PR).

You missed the OZx scenery registration thread by a few weeks, so unfortunately you won't be able to become a dev until the next one.

As for using OZx library objects, you can use them as you wish as long as you release it here at the OZx website under user scenery.

Andreas Hegi has been long working for Orbx as far as I know, it would be safe to start any airports, even if they are on the list, and if they haven't been done. Most of the original developers have gone

Keep it up thumbsup.png

Edited by FTXflyer

well done Akinesis, and welcome from a non-developer.

"You missed the OZx scenery registration thread by a few weeks, so unfortunately you won't be able to become a dev until the next one." ???

Seriously? there is so little coming out of Ozx nowadays, I would have thought an exception could be made.. but then, who am I to talk. Teecee.

Seriously? there is so little coming out of Ozx nowadays, I would have thought an exception could be made.. but then, who am I to talk. Teecee.

Gee Terry, relax mate, you could've said it nicely. With respect, please don't drag everyone else down just because you aren't happy with something that has been said.

On that note, I can contact John and see if he would like to make an exception. Akinesis, if you are really keen with development and would like to join, then we will see what we can do.

Edited by FTXflyer

Mate saying it nicely get nowhere on this forum. As far as I am concerned Ozx is over and done.. I thought a bit of a shakeup was due.. you don't like it, ban me.Teecee.

Well then maybe it's different for me, because I'm more likely to listen if you say it nicely. Anyway I didnt wanna hijack this thread so lets just leave it at that...

Hey folks - no need to argue on my account, lol. Well, thanks for Teecee for the suggestion. And, yes, I'd love to be made an exception :) I'm really enjoying the design work just as much as the flying itself. If I can help to revive Ozx then I'll assist where I can. Although, I think this thread is in the wrong section. Should it not be moved? As for Orange, I finished placing the buildings earlier. However, I have mostly been researching on designing my own 3D buildings to make it more realistic. At the moment, I am placing standard FSX scenery.

I didn't wanna start an argument :)

And Terry thinks that OZx is over and done, he couldn't be more wrong...

Anyway, I think the best thing to do is, continue to develop Orange and also learn about developing, keep posting up your progress, and we shall then see about adding you to the dev team :)

Sorry to disagree, but why not help the man develop his skills? telling him to learn and then you will "think about" adding him is not the way to go. It is just this way of thinking that has brought Ozx to it's knees.. Remember the time when Ozx produced and released almost 300 airstrips and helped train many people? well I do, and what are we seeing now? almost no output and a close to dead forum.

There was also a crop of beta testers that didn't run to the hill's if they didn't like the standard they saw Teecee, you chose to withdraw from the team mate, well...withdraw, and let the team do its thing and pick who they decide to pick. You can't just keep poking you nose in a make a lot of noice whenever you want, that my friend is what is bring OZx to its knees...

Time to get real guys.. the production of scenery is just not happening. and probably never will again, a least not of the quality and quantity that it has previously.. I dropped out ages ago.. my choice, as I saw the direction this forum was going, but I still have the right to an opinion, and you all know that that opinion is.. I am not on the team, have not been for a long time, but I reserve the right to express my thoughts. If you do not want free speech here, you know what to do. Teecee.

Sorry mate, what do you mean 'time to get real'? By saying stuff like this you are putting down the whole team, including the new developers, who actually need encouragement and not such negative comments. Yes, the production of scenery IS happening, doesn't mean that every single little development will go out to the public as soon as it is done. To me it is you who seems to be trying to bring OZx to its knees, and as Terry and Trev said, that has no place here. You must remember that most of the developers on here are relatively new and learning, of course they won't start juicing out 1 airstrip every 3 days. If that is your expectation, then sorry, not happening. I don't wanna make enemies with anyone but I really do not like such pessimistic comments about the team.

Yep, 2 retired and the rest went over to Orbx so its an entirely new team that needs to be built up from almost scratch. This is why all the developers carry the GEN II on their tag. Most of them dont even know the original crew so what has happened here previously shouldnt be thrust apon the new guys. A positive, building attitude is what is required and desired around here.

Anyway, what was this thread about anyway? Oh yes, the development of Orange.

Teecee, as one of the fellow-septuagenarians around here who remembers you from way back in the early days of VOZ, and respects you for your huge input to VOZ and its successor OZx, may I remind you that it was bun-fights like this that nearly killed OZx during the short lived Version 4 era?

You've expressed your opinion several times now and everyone knows what it is, that's fine - your entitlement.

You've wisely decided to withdraw from the team because you don't like where it's heading, that's sad considering your experience and skills - but that's your privilege and your decision.

Nobody wants to ban anybody and I certainly don't want to remember the legendary "Teecee" in the way things are shaping up here.

I'm not saying anymore about this as I want to test some of the new scenery by the wonderful new developers who are emerging in the footsteps and traditions of those before them. Long live OZx.

And Akinesis I would be honoured to test your scenery if you wish, once the developer-fellas have finished helping you produce it thumbsu.gif

Wow, what a stir! Not too disimilar to the Eve-Online forums :)

Just a quick note to say that it's still on-going. Been a busy last few days so I haven't been able to get to the computer, but I'll get some time tomorrow with (hopefully) some progress shots.

I've ready decided on The Oaks, Hoxton Park and Dubbo as my next projects. Although I've been AFK, I've had a lot of time to think. I was hearing someone talking about Dubbo the other day and remembered it was undeveloped, so I might work on that next.

Edited by Akinesis

Well done for having a go Akinesis! goodjob.gif .

There are a few NSW regional airports like Dubbo and Orange that need doing. This is the place to ask questions if you are having problems.

Cheers,

Glenn.

I have created a new scenery register since everyone in the previous one has either retired or moved over to Orbx.

Post your intended fields in there and they will get added to the list. I will add any fields the OZx guys intend to do so there are no duplicate projects.

Crack on mate. Looking forward to seeing this area getting some work done. :)

everyone just chill out, let the guy do his scenery, give tips if need be

if you have a problem do it via PM system, too many egos here are getting bit over the top, and gripes are the same as the previous ones

time to all knock it off, let him do what he wants to and have a go at doing Orange

OK, so I'm very unhappy with my structures. Although the hangers might be forgiven, I just can't put together the terminal and control tower well enough using the defualt buildings. So I want to create my own that are much more realistic. Before I learn how to do that, I would like some help on choosing a program. I've seen that some people are using Google SketchUp, which is great because it is free. Other ones I've come across are Instant Object Maker (which isn't too expensive) and FSDS (which is more expensive). Considering that all I want to do is create relatively basic buildings and signs, would Google SketchUp be enough? I'm not looking to start designing my own aircraft or fancy and complicated structures. Not yet, anyway. Or is it just better to buy one of the other programs?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Akinesis

You can model in google sketchup, however you will have to texture in a different program like gmax because texturing in sketchup will bring horrible performance to fsx. Pretty much the same case with instant object maker, and you can buy FSDS but I think it is pretty similar to GMax anyway, I may be wrong though.

If you want th easiest option go for google sketchup but you will have to learn to texture in GMax.

If you would like to learn this send me a PM and I can show you ;)

A couple of progress shots. Although the hangars are pretty much to scale, they are completely the wrong style when compared to the true structures, which are all white and of similar design. This is what I hope to change soon.

You should be able to see that the cars and static planes have been placed, as well as some other significant structures.

Please note: I am aware building placement isn't quite 'perfect' yet :)

Progress_2_zps24192582.jpg

Progress_1_zps477c7296.jpg

Edited by Akinesis

Akinesis , I sugest that you first blend the PR terrain with the existing one (ORBX Blue) and make the seasons before you get too involved in the detail, nothing worst than finding that after a lot of placements you have to shift the PR to achieve a good blend.. Good work so far.

regards Jorge

ps : A good work plan to create an airfield would be

Research the airfield ( PR, pictures , general info , etc)

obtain PR ,align it,clean it (roads etc) and blend it (look from top) , then create the seasons

create Runway taxiways and aprons either PR or GP (Ground Poly)

place markers and fences

Select or make models and place

add trees , grass and other finesses