• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidR.

DavidR.
  • Registered
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hi all,

Some of you may know that a few weeks ago I had intended to make Newcastle Pro (left and right path versions) freeware maps, and posted to that effect, on the forum.

I received a couple of 'complaints' from people who had bought Newcastle Pro. (not even recent purchases, which I could understand, this was people who bought it a year ago and have had a years enjoyment for £5).

Anyway, I have since looked into this and have found that there are no implications, legally, morally (IMO) or otherwise, in making the product freeware. However it is good practice to give a period of notice so that people can be aware and so that people can choose not to purchase in the period leading up to the product becoming freeware.

With this in mind, I would like to give notice that Newcastle Pro (both left and right path versions) will become freeware on 17th September 2012.

From the 12th October, the Left Path version will continue to be developed, and I am aiming to have 20 real world routes on the map.

However, the Right Path version will not be developed further and will become a static, legacy addon.

Newcastle Pro becoming freeware will open the map up to be able to use freeware scenery objects, meaning that it can be enhanced with more custom objects, that was possible while it was low cost payware.

Thank you to all who supported me with the project, and here's to a good, long continued future for it, as freeware. Posted Image

Thanks.

#2 Leemers

Leemers
  • Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Nice to hear that 20 routes are planned. Also good to see that development can be improved.

I am right behind you Longyear. :)

My Volunteer Railway: http://woodhornnarro....com/index.html

Virtual Hire My Drivers - Home

fspec_12.png

PM's accepted for help needed.

#3 DavidR.

DavidR.
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks Leemers, you've always given great support to the project, which is appreciated.

The other good thing with it becoming freeware, is that more people will be able to chip in and collaborate (just look at Daytonford).

:)

#4 Steven Foster

Steven Foster
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:Simulation games, Buses, Xbox 360

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Now that is what I call a good move Longyear. Posted Image Apart from Grundorf LHD , this is the only left path map I have installed and the only one I need. This map will get even better again with the addition of more routes and even more scenery objects. You have put some amazing work into this map and I hope it will continue for a while to come with this and any other projects.

User Notes:

• None

zs2v.png                   

If you are having any problems with OMSI or OMSI 2, or just want to contact me, PM me here on the forum, message me on Facebook or email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible :)

WIP:

Spoiler

Released

#5 DavidR.

DavidR.
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Now that is what I call a good move Longyear. Posted Image Apart from Grundorf LHD , this is the only left path map I have installed and the only one I need. This map will get even better again with the addition of more routes and even more scenery objects. You have put some amazing work into this map and I hope it will continue for a while to come with this and any other projects.

Thank you very much Steven.

As well as continuing the development of Newcastle Pro, as a freeware left path map, I will also be undertaking considerable updates to Sunderland and Durham left path maps, as soon as Man1333's Dart addon bus is released. :)

In fact the sole focus of all of my map creating going forward will be the left path Newcastle Pro, Sunderland, Durham, and right path Daytonford. I won't be progressing any other maps at this time, due to greatly reduced time available to work on OMSI, due to real-life work.

#6 Lockheart

Lockheart
  • OMSI Staff
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Buses, Subways, Tunnels, Model Trains, City building, Art, 3d Design, Mass Transit.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

While it feels like a shame to see such a great map go from pay to free, I can see the long run benefits are going to make this map not only better, but probably bring it to a bigger audience, I bet you ten to one, anyone who complained about the map being paid will snatch this map up the moment they see its free.

I'm behind you on this Longyear, I hope that this will help make Newcastle even better then it already has been, and I hope this decision is beneficial to you as well with this whole thing.

Best of luck, can't wait to see Man1333's Dart on your maps, heck I can't wait to play it on your maps.

----------------------

Red Text: If you see my posts in this manner, I am speaking as a staff member or on behalf of the staff team.

Black Text: Words in normal black are me as a average member of the board.

#7 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

I dont see any problem myself with a paid addon becomming freeware cause i realy enjoyed it
however i was one of those that buyed it as soon it was released
5 euro,pound whatever...is nothing realy specialy if the route is good
But there probaly be many that be glad newcastle be freeware.

I am used to right road version so for me thats mean no more updates on newcastle but okey...im fine with that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users