Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
Maloney

The Westwood Inn (B.C. Canada)

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

The Westwood Inn Flying Club always had its own home since the time of FS9. Located at various sites such as Bella Coola, Alsek River, and now the estuary of the Klinaklini River at the head of Knight Inlet, B.C.

The scenery i made for the club consists of a mix of objects created by me and various objects from OzX libraries. Now i decided to go public with the scenery (by stripping it from all Orbx objects).

The Westwood Inn, as the name states, is a wooden bar/tavern in the "wild west" style and is actually a copy of a gold rush saloon which is now located in Tankavaara, Finland (no joke, i've been there). Other houses and cabins, a store and a maintenance garage surrounds it, and the cabins of the members of the club (with name signs nailed to the cabins) are located nearby.

A mere 50 miles to the north along the Klinaklini Valley lies Jobin Creek short airstrip which is only accessible by STOL plane such as Piper Cubs. This location is built by using the existing PNW ground layout and features two cabins and a shed.

The approach i took for building this scenery was, and is, after the motto: "keep it as simple as possible". I used the existing ground texture layout from Orbx PNW to create a small settlement which has a corridor for landings and take offs, but no actual runway. This makes for the least optical impact on a otherwise beautyful created landscape by Orbx. The object library is built by FSDS3, with self created textures applied to the objects. I also took the liberty to ad objects from the OzX library like fences, grass and minor things.

This project is on going, its current version is 2.0. That means, it can change over time.

Here are some pics of the place.

The maintenance garage, seen from the "main street":

WWInn_V2_1.jpg

The "main street" with the Westwood Inn, the club house and other buildings:

WWInn_V2_3.jpg

Some of the club members cabins (one can park his aircraft right in front of the cabin):

WWInn_V2_4.jpg

Jobin Creek cabin No. 1:

Jobin_Creek_1.jpg

Jobin Creek cabin No. 2:

Jobin_Creek_2.jpg

All of this scenery has a nordic, scandinavian appeal. This is because i spent much of my holidays up there taking fotographs, and this look and feel suits this fictional place in Canada well. Both places, The Westwood Inn and Jobin Creek are accessible only by small aircraft and the pilots are advised to train their short field capabilities well before trying to land there, especially at Jobin Creek. At the main place, one can get in and out in a Cessna 337 or Centurion but at Jobin Creek, anything that uses more landing and take off distance than a Piper Cub ore Cessna Bird Dog will be grounded ... wink.png

The scenery paket comes with its own object library and is created using Instant Scenery. The scenery and library uses some 37MB of disk space. Maps and approach chart (hand scribbeled) are provided. The object library i created is provided as freeware and can be used by other OzX designer at will (or even implemented in the OzX lib as well).

To the admins or chiefs, if interested in uploading, please PN me for a download link.

Cheers from Switzerland,

Great work! Of course it would be better to use a photoreal texture but as you said, keeping it as simple as possible. Well done, looking forward to seeing it progress, i've been getting some more experience in gmax recently as well, I like it best because it is much easier to optimise objects, that's just my poinion though.

Misha

Nice.. I presume it will be released through "Backcountrypilots" or perhaps even here? Teecee.

Nice.. I presume it will be released through "Backcountrypilots" or perhaps even here? Teecee.

If nobody objects the usage of some OzX library stuff, i'm going to upload the scenery to this server.

Ozx library is freeware, so no one will complain. Good luck with the release. Teecee

Terry, I tried to send you a PM. is your box full?

Looking good Urs.

Since you are using OZx libraries, it would be appropriate to post your scenery here. Looking forward to the finished result.