- - - - -

Experimentation, anyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lockheart

Lockheart
  • OMSI Staff
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Buses, Subways, Tunnels, Model Trains, City building, Art, 3d Design, Mass Transit.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

So, I had this random thought whilst trying to fall asleep a few nights ago. How do the trains work? Why is it taking so long for anyone to attempt to make trams or new trains? Most obvious answer being that majority of people are looking at making Buses, and to that I fully understand. But I've seen at least 5 Trams being made, none of which appear to have been released, that I know of.

Going on that, I thought I'd look into how the Trains work, We have two trains by default, the S-bahn train, and the International DB diesel train. Both look and work differently, why? Well lets look at the S-Bahn, it has animations to the doors, and can display destinations similar to that of the Rollblinds on the older SD buses, however the Diesel train does none of this, so why is it different? Well looking into it, the Diesel train is just a static object, much like the Static buses we have for the editor, that is all it is. What makes it move is simply like that of the Airplanes, in short is just a static object being pulled along the route, with some extra effects such as smoke and headlights.

What does this bring us to? Well, First I assume those that are making trams/streetcars are making them like they are Buses, detailed on both the inside and outside, with animated doors and such. This is all neat and fancy, but when you think about it, how likely is anyone going to just sit and watch a tram all day... er beyond me of course. lol. So for the Experimentation, I tried shifting out the Diesel model for a static bus model, and changed the CFG file to use the new model and ta-da, works like a charm, well sorta. If I spent more time altering the CFG file the bus would have lined up better and would work much smoother, but it proves my theory, that we can have semi-animated static objects.

Click here to see it
I would like to note that I'm aware it has no textures, this is simply because I didn't supply them when I took the shot, but they do work.

So to get to the whole point of this topic, What are the odds we could actually get say a tram or streetcar type of static object? It would add to maps that use them, I'm sure there are a few around here that could use them. And since they wouldn't require half the work a full on bus would, I'm sure we could get one out in less then half the time of the buses, pending the tram of course.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I'd also like to point out, that I do believe I've seen a static tram on the Official forums, but I don't know if it was available for download and I've been unable to find it again, if anyone else has seen this and can/has downloaded this, please let me know I'd like to put my tests to further work.

Edited by Lockheart, 02 March 2012 - 10:46 AM.

----------------------

Red Text: If you see my posts in this manner, I am speaking as a staff member or on behalf of the staff team.

Black Text: Words in normal black are me as a average member of the board.

#2 Thiago

Thiago
  • OMSI Staff
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

That's interesting! I have never tried to see closely how the trains worked.
IMO, there are really feasible chances. Actually I don't care to the detailed bus-like behavior that the S-Bahn trains have. I don't care if they open doors or show destination blinds, so considering this static ICE, things would be much better regarding the construction of trams and streetcars.
I always like to have a Bombardier Flxity Outlook around OMSI cities.

Is this train only one solid object, or are all wagons connected? Is it possible to choose the amount of wagons?

OZx OMSI Wiki | Forum Rules

Temporarily out from OMSI development.

supporter_banner1.png

#3 Lockheart

Lockheart
  • Topic Starter
  • OMSI Staff
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Buses, Subways, Tunnels, Model Trains, City building, Art, 3d Design, Mass Transit.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

That's interesting! I have never tried to see closely how the trains worked.
IMO, there are really feasible chances. Actually I don't care to the detailed bus-like behavior that the S-Bahn trains have. I don't care if they open doors or show destination blinds, so considering this static ICE, things would be much better regarding the construction of trams and streetcars.
I always like to have a Bombardier Flxity Outlook around OMSI cities.

Is this train only one solid object, or are all wagons connected? Is it possible to choose the amount of wagons?

Exactly! Sure the animated parts are neat and such, but they aren't really needed since you aren't technically driving the trains, trams and such. I would love to see some trams in static form running around the OMSI cities myself, I think they'd look great, and being static they wouldn't cause much lag!

As for your other question, There are two models, in separate Vehicle folders(though I don't think they need to be). One for the Engine and one for a wagon. From there you go into the folder Trains and look for any ZUG file, copy it, rename it, and place it back into the folder then alter the file inside, which is simply like the AI file, only its just one line for the vehicle followed by a 0 or a 1, not sure what they numbers mean just yet... for the Diesel train they go 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0. With the corresponding link to the OVH file.

What I've learned about this ZUG file from altering the S-Bahn in the past is the each of the lines corresponds to how long the train is, if you add another line containing the engine, you'll have two engines. They also appear to be in a certain order, so if you put the engine in first followed by a wagon then the engine again, you'll see the train appear with 1 engine in the front followed by a wagon which will then be followed by another engine.

So basically, pending the tram/street car one could have just a single tram like the old fashion ones, like PCCs or if we modeled each part of the tram, front, middle parts and the end we could have Bombardier like you said. and I'm sure many will agree that modeling a static object like this would be a lot easier then modeling a whole bus style one, since all we need to do is line up lights, boogies, and any other accessories.

Actually I'm surprised no one has attempted this, at least brought it up like this.

----------------------

Red Text: If you see my posts in this manner, I am speaking as a staff member or on behalf of the staff team.

#4 Orange

Orange
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Transit! 3d Modeling, Simulators

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

i like the idea, it would bring a new variety to custom maps. along with all that the simple task of creating splines with rail additions.

Edited by Orange, 02 March 2012 - 01:46 PM.

My Specs : Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.0ghz, Gigabyte Z77-UD3H,  Mushkin Blackline (2x8) 16gb, Samsung 840 Evo 250Gb, Geforce GTX 780 (Gigabyte Windforce OC), Fractal Design Define R4 Case

#5 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

i think we shouldmake a Tram for omsi and post it on my sight lol

#6 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

ill make a voting poll for it and if theres loads of yes or no s then ill begin or give project to some1 tht can try make it what do you think i owuld have a go but i dont have program to make buses so i cant do it unless some 1 is kind of enough to give me link or program so i can try lol if u do here is my email [email protected]

#7 relay

relay
  • Registered
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:Any and everything related to mass transportation. Trains, trams, buses, airplanes, passenger ships and ferry boats. And of course, computer simulation of the foregoing.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

This sounds like a good idea to me. I can think of at least one map with tram tracks, which of course makes the trams conspicuous by reason of their absence. I would like to see this happen.

#8 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

http://omsi.moonfruit.com/ kk if you think trams should be in omsi please go to my new website its only pen for today bcause its beta till 10th March so please click voteing poll if u think there should thank u

#9 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

#10 Lockheart

Lockheart
  • Topic Starter
  • OMSI Staff
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

This is the kinda of 'Bus' type of tram I spoke of, I've seen lots of videos and screens of this tram and similar ones, but nothing appears to be released. Who knows when it'll be done.

----------------------

#11 Guest_lynx1121_*

Guest_lynx1121_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

working trams would be great, if these came in, might see some blackpool maps - not by me

#12 natalie395

natalie395
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Interesting idea! Good to see how OMSI can be utilised in creative ways.

By the way, since driving railways on designated tracks is possible in OMSI, would it be possible to make vehicles drive on both the tracks and off to the roads, which will make guided bus operation possible? AFAIK guided buses is a distinctive feature of bus transit in some cities, and is also one of the decent solutions that improves the quality and efficiency of bus services. It definitely worth a try. Posted Image
I am eager to learn, I am desperate to explore the world...but I don't know if I am intelligent enough to receive all those abundant and sophisticated knowledge...

I am a dreamer. My imaginations are unlimited, but when would I have determination to implement all of them?

#13 Guest_lynx1121_*

Guest_lynx1121_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Interesting idea! Good to see how OMSI can be utilised in creative ways.

By the way, since driving railways on designated tracks is possible in OMSI, would it be possible to make vehicles drive on both the tracks and off to the roads, which will make guided bus operation possible? AFAIK guided buses is a distinctive feature of bus transit in some cities, and is also one of the decent solutions that improves the quality and efficiency of bus services. It definitely worth a try. Posted Image

sounds like an idea!!

maybe create the tracks groved into the roads like a crossing but for say a mile or so.
for guided bus ways, thin maybe an addon for any buses of train wheels to be added underneath the buses with the normal road wheels on the edge so can make an easy transition from track to road,

#14 natalie395

natalie395
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

sounds like an idea!!

maybe create the tracks groved into the roads like a crossing but for say a mile or so.
for guided bus ways, thin maybe an addon for any buses of train wheels to be added underneath the buses with the normal road wheels on the edge so can make an easy transition from track to road,

By the way, that's how guided buses works: http://citytransport.../FrameOBahn.htm

Notice the guide wheels are on the sides of the front axle, directly attached to the steering mechanism. The "tracks" therefore are on the sides rather than beneath the bus.
I am eager to learn, I am desperate to explore the world...but I don't know if I am intelligent enough to receive all those abundant and sophisticated knowledge...

I am a dreamer. My imaginations are unlimited, but when would I have determination to implement all of them?

#15 Butterman01

Butterman01
  • Banned
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Lockheart, sounds like bringing a bit of BCCS logic to the platform. Sounding good, as Thiago said, some Bombardier trams, i do like Trams actually when in Eastern or Central Europe i love a tram!

By the way, that's how guided buses works: http://citytransport.../FrameOBahn.htm Notice the guide wheels are on the sides of the front axle, directly attached to the steering mechanism. The "tracks" therefore are on the sides rather than beneath the bus.

I drove through the guided bus rail in Brighton coming home via bus from there not too long ago, it's really rough though but it allows buses to move at excessive speeds, specially from what i read in Australia.
Posted Image

#16 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

so the pic ive got will decided so if you want trams go to my new omsi site and vote thank you http://omsi.moonfruit.com/

#17 Guest_lynx1121_*

Guest_lynx1121_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

By the way, that's how guided buses works: http://citytransport.../FrameOBahn.htm

Notice the guide wheels are on the sides of the front axle, directly attached to the steering mechanism. The "tracks" therefore are on the sides rather than beneath the bus.

yes i know what you mean and how they work, im meaning for OMSI if that idea cant be devoloped, plus it will be less bumpy and wont have moaning passengers

#18 natalie395

natalie395
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

yes i know what you mean and how they work, im meaning for OMSI if that idea cant be devoloped, plus it will be less bumpy and wont have moaning passengers

Now I get it. Thanks for your clarification.

#19 Guest_lynx1121_*

Guest_lynx1121_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

no probs natalie :)

ill put it more clearly, i ave the words in my head but dont come out right on here lol

#20 midtown292

midtown292
  • Banned
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

I would like if we could have trams you can drive - it would be good for the Edinburgh map I'm making (we would probably get trams in OMSI before I ever see on running around Edinburgh!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users