• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 adrian

adrian
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Updates to RNC templates are made every weekend

(exceptions may occur depending on the staff's availability)

About the OMSI RNC

The OMSI RNC was created to address a problem with vehicle repaints that incorporate additionally modified textures. 'Additional' meaning textures that are present in the comparable vehicle's default paint scheme, but are not referenced in the 'Texture Changes' section of that particular vehicle's original model.cfg file. This might include the wheels, driver's seat, panel, or ticket machine, etc.

Whenever additionally modified textures are included in a repaint, the repainter is required to instruct the user to modify the target vehicle's model configuration file (model.cfg), so that OMSI is able to use the repainted textures in place of the default textures whenever that particular vehicle repaint is selected.

The problem with this, is that different repainters often use different naming conventions for these additional texture entries. But, because OMSI only allows a texture to be referenced once in any given vehicle's configuration file, this means that a user is currently, in effect, limited to repaints of this type from only one particular repainter - unless they possess the technical know-how to edit other people's repaints to comply with their vehicle's model configuration file's existing naming convention.

For some users, particularly ones who are new to OMSI, installing a new repaint in this way can actually 'break' others done by different repainters in the process. And as more and more repaints and new vehicles are introduced to the OMSI community, the problem will most likely just keep growing if left unaddressed.

This is where the OMSI RNC comes into play, by creating a simple, standard, naming convention for repainters and users to adopt – hence eliminating the problem.

How it works for regular OMSI users

As a regular OMSI user, wherever you see the 'OMSI RNC Compliant' badge, you will know that the repaint you are about to download will not cause any adverse issues with any other RNC compliant repaint(s) that you may already have installed. Because of the problem mentioned earlier however, you should always bear in mind that RNC Level 2 repaints could still cause issues with some non-compliant repaints – and this is completely unavoidable, with or without the RNC standard.

There are two different badges to look out for when downloading an RNC compliant repaint:

RNCLVL1_zpsc0e2cc79.png

RNC Level 1: Compliant repaint that does not include any additionally modified textures, or require you to modify your vehicle's model configuration file.

RNCLVL2_zpsd9e904cd.png

RNC Level 2: Fully compliant repaint that includes one or more additionally modified texture(s), which will require you to check and possibly modify your vehicle's model configuration file, as per the current RNC standard for that vehicle. Full instructions will be provided by the repainter to guide you through the installation and ensure that any modifications are done correctly and in compliance with the RNC Level 2 standard.

Many of the OMSI community's best repainters are already on-board, particularly those on this forum, and will be releasing all of their future repaints in full compliance with the RNC standard. In addition, many of them will also be updating their existing repaint portfolios too.

So, installing repaints in the future will hopefully be a much easier, trouble-free experience – and there'll certainly be many high quality RNC compliant repaints to choose from, by some of the best repainters around.

How it works for repainters

The basic idea is simple. If you choose to comply, simply follow and adhere to the RNC standard when doing all future repaints. You can also, if you wish, amend your existing repaints to comply with the RNC standard.

There are two levels of compliancy for repaints:

RNC Level 1: Your repaint does not include any additionally modified textures, or require the user to modify their vehicle's model configuration file.

RNC Level 2: Your repaint includes one or more additionally modified texture(s), and requires the user to check and possibly modify their vehicle's model configuration file, as per the current applicable RNC vehicle configuration file template.

Before you release a new Level 2 repaint, you should check the relevant RNC vehicle configuration file template via the appropriate link further down on this page, to make sure you are using the correct naming convention. Helpful instructions should also be provided in your repaint's Read Me file to guide the user the through the installation, along with a link to the current RNC vehicle model file template for the relevant vehicle, to ensure that any modifications to the model.cfg file are done correctly and in compliance with the RNC Level 2 standard. Templates are provided further down this page to help you assemble a suitable Read Me file.

Once you are happy that your repaint complies, you can then upload it in the usual way and display the applicable 'OMSI RNC Compliant' badge on the download page to show everyone that your repaint is compliant.

NOTE: No such approval will be needed for 99.99% of repaints. ONLY ones that require adding textures or vehicles to the RNC template library will need approving.

A badge is available for either level to enable you to clearly indicate to the user that your work is RNC compliant, and what modifications (if any) may be required from them when installing your repaint. The URLs to display the badges are available at the bottom of this post.

NOTE: The RNC standard is not applicable to AI or static vehicles.

Resources for repainters

The sections below contain all the necessary resources repainters need to make their work RNC compliant.

RNC Level 2 vehicle configuration file templates

Here, in alphabetical & numerical order, are the links to the RNC vehicle configuration file templates for Level 2 compliant repaints. New vehicles and textures can be added to the library at any time, so you should check the relevant template prior to releasing your repaint to ensure that it is fully compliant. 

RNC Templates. Any new/updated ones are in bold. Note: SD200/SD202 are done to the best of my memory, please let me know if there are any issues.

Dennis-
Enviro 500
Dragon 11M
Dragon 11M AHL

Liaz-

MAN-

Lion City DD
Lion City V1
Lion City V2
Lion City 1DTF
NL202 V0.99
NL202 1DTF
SD200 - SD77
SD200 - SD80
SD200 - SD81
SD200 - SD82
SD200 - SD83
SD200 - SD83RLB
SD200 - SD84
SD200 - SD85
SD202 - D86
SD202 - D87
SD202 - D88
SD202 - D89
SD202 - D92

Mercedes

Mercedes 0305 Standard77
Mercedes 0305 E2H84
Mercedes 0305 E2H85

0405N2 Overhaul
0405N2 Julian 2013
Vario 812D

Renault
Karosa 12M

Solaris
Urbino 10 III - Support for CNG Tank by Chrisrose
Urbino 15 III - Support for CNG Tank by Chrisrose

For Level 2 repaints, it is required (and also good practice) to include a link in your repaint's Read Me file to that particular vehicle's RNC model configuration file template (as listed above), rather than providing a copy yourself. This will ensure that the user applies the modification in accordance with the correct and current RNC standard when installing your repaint.

Templates are provided below to help you assemble a suitable Read Me file for both Level 1 and Level 2 repaints. They are based on the SD202-D92, so please carefully amend as required for other vehicle types.

http://dl.dropbox.co...Template L1.txt

RNC Level 1 Read Me Template

http://dl.dropbox.co...Template L2.txt

RNC Level 2 Read Me Template

RNC Compliant badges

RNC Logos (Size is 120x148) -
Level 1: RNCLVL1_zpsc0e2cc79.png Level 2: RNCLVL2_zpsd9e904cd.png

Edited by Thiago, 22 July 2013 - 12:19 AM.
Links updated

#2 Thiago

Thiago
  • OMSI Staff
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image

Very clear and detailed mate. Oh, you forgot to stick this topic.Posted Image

Temporarily out from OMSI development.

Back to activity as World of Omsi Staff

supporter_banner1.png

#3 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Posted Image
Very clear and detailed mate. Oh, you forgot to stick this topic.Posted Image

Thanks Thiago! I can't sticky it, I haven't got 'the power'! ;)

#4 DavidR.

DavidR.
  • Registered
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

This is a brilliant drive to bring real quality management to OMSI development.... excellent work sir!

I have permanently retired from the OMSI community.   Thank you for all the support and enjoyment!

#5 JayKae

JayKae
  • Admin
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

Had a good read of this, very well thought of mate and very well written, great job mate !

Posted Image

Like Our Site?give us kudos to make our day!

Lian-Li PC PC-P80R, Intel Core i7 980X (OC44), GA-X58A-UD9, G.Skill 12GB Trident DDR3 RAM, 4 x ATI Radeon HD5970 2GB GDDR5 (xfire), 4 x G.Skill PHOENIX SSD - 240GB, Thermaltake Tough Power 1500W, Corsair Cooling Hydro H50, Zalman CNPS10X, Antec TriCool 120mm Fan, NZXT Sentry 2.5" TSDFC 

... and where is the Batman ?

#6 SteveB

SteveB
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Had a good read of this, very well thought of mate and very well written, great job mate !

Yep... it's a good post (dots the I's crosses the t's)

Cheers Ady, I've put all my paints to the new convention, lets hope folks are like minded and use it.

It would be great if the 'other' forums adopt this

#7 MarkHodgkinson

MarkHodgkinson
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Excellent work Adrian; I have already started to update my repaints to the convention, starting with the NL202 packs.

#8 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Excellent work Adrian; I have already started to update my repaints to the convention, starting with the NL202 packs.

Cheers Mark! Me too. Not the most exciting of jobs but once it's done it's done eh? ;)

#9 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

I've put all my paints to the new convention, lets hope folks are like minded and use it. It would be great if the 'other' forums adopt this.

Thanks bruv, much appreciated! It would be nice if other forums took it on-board too. To be honest, I've done this very much with this forum and it's users in mind. So anything beyond that will be a nice bonus! ;)

#10 Jason Bowden

Jason Bowden
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

hi guys can i put tht in textures paint or do i have to wait for update to com before i download it lol

#11 MarkHodgkinson

MarkHodgkinson
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

All my NL202 and D92 repaints are now updated to the convention; I will have the remaining SD77 and SD85 ones done over the weekend.

#12 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nice one Mark... Blimey, you work fast! ;)

hi guys can i put tht in textures paint or do i have to wait for update to com before i download it lol

Sorry Jason, not sure what you mean mate?

#13 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Just to let everyone know that all of my repaints have now been converted to RNC Level 2 standard and are available to download. BIG thanks to SteveB who very kindly converted the Gehen2 D92 pack. Saved me a lot of time! :)

#14 Fleetline7221

Fleetline7221
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

All mine uploaded earlier on today to the new standard :)

Dave.

See all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if th'ivver does owt for nowt, allus do it for thissen.

If you wish to edit my repaints please could you ask me before showing off/releasing. Plus credit me as the original author of it.

#15 Thiago

Thiago
  • OMSI Staff
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Oh you're fast! :D

Temporarily out from OMSI development.

Back to activity as World of Omsi Staff

supporter_banner1.png

#16 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

All mine uploaded earlier on today to the new standard Posted Image

Nice one Dave!!!... That's the tedious bit none of us were looking forward to out the way, it's all easy peasy from here! :)

#17 MarkHodgkinson

MarkHodgkinson
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

Nice one Dave!!!... That's the tedious bit none of us were looking forward to out the way, it's all easy peasy from here! :)

Tell me about it! Luckily I've only got a few more SD77 repaints to do before I can start back working on new repaints.

#18 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

First drafts of Dennis Enviro 500 RHD and LiAZ 677m templates added to the library.

#19 adrian

adrian
  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Added templates to assist repainters in assembling a suitable Read Me file for both Level 1 and Level 2 repaints.

#20 road-hog123

road-hog123
  • Registered
  • 3,757 posts
  • Interests:Omsi, Programming, Music, Scale Models.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

This sounds good! I only found this out after seeing the logo at the bottom of downloads and wondering "What does that mean??" but now I think I shall have to go through my already installed repaints and make sure that they will not be affected by future repaints using this convension...Posted Image
Good luck on including making this a convension that other forums use too!Posted Image

Edited by road-hog123, 22 February 2012 - 05:39 AM.

Unless otherwise stated, you can use my creations on your Payware or Freeware maps and include the zip file within the download. My only requirements are that a link is provided for users to download updated versions and that I am listed as the creator of that item. You may NOT edit any of my work and reupload as your own without seeking and gaining my prior permission. Feel free to make requests, however do not expect them to be fulfilled because you plead. ;) Thanks!
My Flickr <Formatting!> My YouTube
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick." - The 11th Doctor

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omsi, rnc, repaints

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users