Welcome to OZx Forum

Welcome to OZx Forum guest,

Wouldn't it be nice if I would call you by your name or nickname of your choice ? 

Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of OZx Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Dubliner

FaceTrackNoIR

Question

Has anyone tried this free head tracking program, which requires no headset, but rather uses your webcam to track your head movements? I've downloaded the first version, and although it seems to fail occasionally, I was surprised it seemed to work well on first impressions without any adjustments. I intend to download the latest update, and try fiddling with the parameters to see just how good it is. Alas, it seems to be nigh impossible to steer accurately with the mouse while using this, and I may have to invest in a wheel at some stage.

19 answers to this question

I've noticed that in your amazing videos Jay - that you never appear to be using TIR, (fixed views) although I did think I had read somewhere that you did have it. Not that theres any loss to your videos, I was just surprised you don't use it. Personally I find TIR works better with OMSI than any other sim I have tried it with. The only annoyance is having to keep reseting the TrackIR button within OMSI, after changing settings or accessing the menu.

I have not tried the 'free' offerings, or TIR alternatives. It is good that they are getting better.

I;m downloading it now and having a quick go with it. will et you know how it goes.

Just starting it and pressing fake trackir, it was almost perfect, now to fiddle with settings lol.

After using it for a bit, it seems to lag a bit tracking your face.. as in you turn your head and it responds a split second later, so you seem to be ahead of it all the time, still great for free though.

Edited by cmdrmonty

I tried to use it, but it didn't work well for me. My webcam is good, but maybe the small screen and it's position on a laptop relative to me is not helping much. Anyway, I'll try it again later.

No, TrackIR does work well for me, when I am not also picking up phones and doing other things while driving/flying lol .. I'll see if I can do a video using trackIR sometime soon :)

One of the things you will not notice in my videos is my pauses, I hardly ever get the time to do an uninterrupted run ;)

jutst down loaded it, to be honest it aint for me, to tempermental. i mean when on the comp im always changing my postion, so obv when im driving on omsi its suddenly changes so im looking at the roof, ill stick to the norm lol

I myself have tried this in the past and it worked....sorta, Cheap webcams don't work well with it, and I doubt expensive webcams work that much better. But it did tempt me to get the real TrackIR, but this Facetrack one is not something you should use to judge whether you want the real thing or not.

I definitely still want the real TrackIR, but i was hoping i could use this as an alternative until i can afford the TrackIR in the new year.

Thanks a lot. That works pretty nicely for me.

I made some more tweaks and it is working in a very comfortable way for me.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ckNoIR/OMSI.ini

I was using the FaceAPI option, but then I switched to FTNoir Server and I felt the capture is more accurate.

Make a backup of the old one if you give it a try :)

Edited by Thiago

I made some more tweaks and it is working in a very comfortable way for me.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ckNoIR/OMSI.ini

I was using the FaceAPI option, but then I switched to FTNoir Server and I felt the capture is more accurate.

Make a backup of the old one if you give it a try smile.png

Hi Thiago,

Can u send me FTNoIR settings again please; i cannot download your dropbox folder. rofl.gif

I got a webcam to try this about a year ago, I remember that it was pretty resource hungry if you needed it to somewhat resemble the Track IR. Maybe there has been some improvements since :)

I've been close to buy a Track-IR 5 a couple of times, but they are a little to pricey IMO, though the market for this is really small, so I understand why.

I got a webcam to try this about a year ago, I remember that it was pretty resource hungry if you needed it to somewhat resemble the Track IR. Maybe there has been some improvements since smile.png

I've been close to buy a Track-IR 5 a couple of times, but they are a little to pricey IMO, though the market for this is really small, so I understand why.

I suppose they have improved that, even though I lose about 1~3 FPS when using it, but I can still play on my weak pc. :D

I want to buy one for me but I don't have courage yet, too expensive for my current budget. :(